Post Rotor Pull & Perch swap clutch is loose

Lluber

Noob
Reaction score
So about a month ago my rotor went bad. Replaced it with a custom rewind job.. Whilel I had the engine cover off I got antsy and swapped out my front brake MC, levers as well as my clutch perch. Im using controls off a 08-09 kawasaki ninja 250 (not sure if that info is pertinent) I painted my foot controls, engine cover and most of the other parts around the frame. Basically just trying to clean up what I can.

after I got the clutch lever re attached and engine cover on I realized that the clutch was is very loose at the lever. I didn't touch anything inside the cover. My spring looks good and everything felt fine before I swapped the clutch perch. Im not sure whats up. Do I need to replace the clutch cable with a shorter one due to the new perch? Learning a lot of this as I go so be gentle..

Thanks Guys.

Any time you have the left cover of you need to check and often readjust the clutch, at the side cover and perch.
Using a different perch will often make cable adjustment changes. If you look closly at the stock perch and your new perch the part the adjuster screws in may be thicker or thinner between the lever and adjuster. I'm using a perch of an 82 Seca. It is thinner at this point and it needs the cable adjuster out farther than the stock perch.
Just readjust everything and it should be fine.
Leo

Yeah, I did that I had it all the way in and then pulled it back out and it was still loose. I haven't messed with adjusting it on the side cover thou.. mostly because I wasn't sure what that was for. But realized that the little circle came off (the notch under the circle gave it away) didn't want to go messing with it until I had a idea of what do to once I get it off. ok, Ill keep messing with it. Thanks leo!

Ok, to adjust the screw under the little round cover you loosen the cable adjuster up so you have plenty of slack, loosen the lock nut. Back the adjuster screw back a few turns, Spin it in and out to get a good feel for just how hard it is to turn, now slowly turn the screw in till you just fell resistance. Now back the screw out 1/8 turn, while holding the screw from turning, snug the lock nut down. This removes most of the play between the worm and the pressure plate. You want this right. Too loose and the bike will pull ahead while holding the clutch and your in gear, not fun at a busy intersection. Neutral hard to find.
Too tight and the clutch will slip.
Once you get thsat right, up at the cable adjuster adjust for about 1/8 to 1/4 inch freeplay. Again if to tight the clutch slips, too loose pulls and hard to find neutral.
Leo

Back