probably the dumbest question (re: top speed)

nah, i've got PLENTY of room lol. i just didn't want any spacing issues between the chain and the sprocket teeth, if that even makes sense.

nah, i've got PLENTY of room lol. i just didn't want any spacing issues between the chain and the sprocket teeth, if that even makes sense.

Uhhhh, doesn't make sense....though I'm senseless at times.
You could have a clearance issue with the shift guard if you change out the front sprocket to an 18 toother, you could have an issue with chain sag with the hardtail.
I believe you'll be quite pleased with a 30 rear- 17 front....whole 'nuther bike.

Fill your handle bars full of sand or something heavier on the ends. This will damp the vibration.

Are your carbs balanced well? Big time engine smoother outer.
Timing the same.
Valve adjustment a bit.
Are your wheels balanced?

carbs were JUST synced by 5twins on here. same goes for timing. wheels balanced is unknown, probably not.. the guy who owned it before me was a bit of a jack ass.

This is probably an even dumber question but do you have to change the front sprocket if you go with a 30 rear?

This is probably an even dumber question but do you have to change the front sprocket if you go with a 30 rear?

No need to change out the front. It's a good idea to have new sprockets and chain if you do swap out so's everything wears the same.
So that's a yes and no........ok, it depends on the wear of your existing front sprocket and chain. Best to have as new on these parts as possible lest you wear out the new faster.

Okay thanks a ton. My budget isn't the biggest but I am having the same issues as the OP. I'm starting to sort them tho.:banghead:

Going smaller than the 30 tooth rear needs to have the hub relieved so the chain won't ride on the hub.
I like a 17/32 sprockets. Good all around gearing. The 17/30 works good when running the hi-way, 17/34 good around town.
Leo

uummmm ..... yes, I tuned and got this bike running like 6 or 7 months ago, lol. Now it's sold and 2 states away. I'm not taking credit for that carb sync anymore - and Max, I want my extra jets back, lol. I left him an assortment of extra jets he could try if the ones we put in didn't work out just right. I told him I wanted them back if he didn't need them. I expected to hear back from the guy for more tuning and work. He never called. I just assumed things were all good. I guess since it was his bike, he could sell it but my jets shouldn't be included in the package. Honestly, it's not a great loss (but it is a lesson learned). They were mostly MikesXS knock-off jets. I only use them for "rough" tuning, then buy genuine Mikunis for the final draft.

hey bud, if you want em back i got no problem. They're on top of my tool box :) PM me an address and i'll get em right back out there. no need to learn a lesson the hard way lol - and at least it wasn't a 3000 dollar lesson. i'm over here lookin for spare motors ;) lol

Just did a dustoff, around 15 miles. Checked speed to rpm in 5th.....around 3700 rpm @ 55 mph and around 4 grand rpm @ 60 mph, running an 18/32 sprocket setup. Should be about the same for a 17/30.

Back