Putting engine back in frame

Gareth Piggott

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I am just about to start reassembling my XS650 flat tracker.
The frame has just been powder coated and I want to make sure that when putting the engine back in I don;t wreck the finish.
Obviously I will protect the frame with carpet or something similar.
My question is this:
What side of the bike is it easiest to get the engine in from.
Any advice appreciated
Thanks
Gareth

Goes in the right side. Here's how Mick did his.... Comment #11

DSCN0124.JPG

And here's Bob's install. Comment #1707

42C7FEBE-68FA-4775-ADEB-0DC3D4859506.jpeg

+1 on all of the above - particularly having a second pair of strong hands/arms if you are trying to avoid scratching up the paint.

Once you have it in - sticking the big long bolt in through the bottom mount will allow everyone to relax a bit and then you can button up the rest of it.

Pete

G'day Garreth,

This is how I did mine as all of the cycle parts were assembled so could not lay frame over engine.

As Jim said come in from the RH side, I also had a small trolley jack underneath the sump.

Use the lowest engine mount holes to give more clearance.

Good luck.

GeeDub
Engine Removal & Installation.jpg

G'day Garreth,

This is how I did mine as all of the cycle parts were assembled so could not lay frame over engine.

As Jim said come in from the RH side, I also had a small trolley jack underneath the sump.

Use the lowest engine mount holes to give more clearance.

Good luck.

GeeDubView attachment 136180

Actually, this is precisely the method that RobinC and I used to remove Lucille’s engine and then Lakeview and I used it reinstall the engine a few weeks later. It just requires:
  • a couple of 1” dia. pipes about 4 ft long,
  • a couple of bolts to secure the straps to the engine mount holes (use the upper rear one directly under the carbs and the front one at the base of the oil feed tube), and;
  • two strong straps (like a piece of old car seatbelt each about 8-12” long).
Once all the mounting bolts (except the bottom one) are out, just take weight on the pipes, slip out that last bolt and lift her out and to the right. It took us about 15-20 min. all done (same to reinstall the engine).

One more thing - having a small hydraulic jack under the engine sump is also a huge help as pointed out above. It makes getting that bottom engine bolt in a total piece of cake.

Pete

Last edited:
Once you have it in - sticking the big long bolt in through the bottom mount will allow everyone to relax a bit and then you can button up the rest of it.
Yep, if you can get any bolt in anywhere, it means it's lined up for all the rest, so pick one that looks the easiest.

Back