Racing ignition

as mentioned i'd never ride w/o a headlight, but with some sort of LED at around 10W the total draw should not exceed approx 2.5A. 3A even with a high volt coil.

with these cells you can go 14Ah, 17.5Ah, 21Ah etc... with groups of 4, 5, and 6 cells respectively. 21Ah/3A= about 7 hrs run time. should be plenty.

Check kidney puncher.com, the 18650 is a common battery for vapors (e-cigerettes)
The samsung inr 1865025r is the most popular. Very flat profile. If you find a source for cheaper 18650's let me know.

who knew that "smoking" would one day require batteries...

7 or 8 bucks a pop or more would make this total loss/lithium only concept less attractive. the stepson tells me most of the ebay sellers of 18650 cells are badly inflating the Ah ratings on their batteries. he may be buying a wholesale quantity of cells from a reputable supplier to get cost halved or less.

I've seen a lot of discontinued cellphone, smartphone, and tablet Li-on batteries going at surplus rates. Same with some portable drill batteries...

yes, I've heard samsungs or Panasonics are the best brands.

I can get used cells free through connections locally- defense dept contractor that ordinarily pays to discard them. but you don't know how many cycles (no pun intended)they've seen.

this basically would be a form of "hybrid" drive, which we're all becoming more used to these days. i'd guess the reduced mass on the crank and the elimination of 200W of electromagnetic drag would be worth maybe 1.25 HP, not to mention the quicker spin up and decel.

LED headlights are generally a bit more than the 10W i'd estimated, but still doable at about half a conventional bulb. I run on low beam during the day with flashes of high as required.

Last edited:
Maybe you could invent a new type of double-walled exhaust pipe that functions as a peltier junction thermoelectric generator (Seebeck effect)?

Last edited:
was not familiar with that concept. just read the Wikipedia blurb on ATEGs.

internal combustion motors do waste one hell of a lot of heat... that type of design is not really practical in this case but thanks for the new info.

might want to rethink grabbing those free li-ion batts. check the u tubes for e-cig venting. some wild shit there. Bunch of dumbasses keeping batteries and change in same pocket.

A few years ago, a fellow asked me to put together an ignition for flat track racing since the ARD was no longer available. After a few weeks of researching and collecting the parts for the prototype, he stopped answering my calls so I never went any further with it.

If anyone is interested in fiddling around with it, the rotor is an Echo #A409-000260 (only 2" diameter, weighs 11oz), and the exciter coil is Echo #15660102912. You would need to bore a tapered hole in the rotor to fit the XS crank and fabricate a bracket to mount the exciter. You would also need a dual output ignition coil to plug into the exciter coil. I was planning to use a Banshee coil. Like I said, I never got around to putting it all together so I don't know if it will work. It's all good quality, readily available, Japanese made parts so it could be just the ticket for a race bike.

Back