Rear shock rebuild

I am not aware of any stock XS650 shocks being rebuildable.
But you can remove the spring with an appropriate fixture and check the shock action. IMHO a lot of perfectly good stock shocks are tossed.

Most things can be done, with the necessary equipment, skills, knowledge and time is available. Or money, if others are doing the job.
I once read an article in "Classic Bike", a british magazine. This was about overhauling "sealed" shocks, most likely a Girling from a british bike. If I remember right, the shock was disassembled by cutting the rod seal housing off with hacksaw or in a lathe, then pulling the rod and piston assembly out. When re-assembling he had a special rod seal housing that either was threaded in, or held with a snap ring or equivalent. I guess this must have been a non-pressurized shock, i.e. a dual tube design. Maybe email Classic Bike for a copy of that issue. I believe the writers name is Rick Parkington. In any case, if the shock is pressurized (emulsion type, floating piston type, or bladder type) be VERY carful when doing any drilling/cutting !!

Perhaps pckopp can explain why he thinks they need to be re-built. I agree with Gary, in that the stock rear shocks seem to get a bad reputation for unexplained reasons.

I'm still using the stock rear shocks and they work just fine for me.

If you want to rebuild them, then they can't be very nice, Maybe pretty but that don't make them nice. I'd rather have a shock that works as it should than have it look good.
Then again I am that way with anything. Make it work first then do pretty.
Leo

Then the stock shocks, when new, must have been over sprung for you. Given their age, the springs have probably lost 15-20 lbs of pressure over the years, depending the amount of preload they have been under.

Until he posts what brand and model of shocks he has, anything said is just a guess in the dark.

I have no idea what they were like when new, as the bike was 29 year old when I bought it. When I bought the bike the shocks had no preload and that is how I still use them. I only ride solo, and the stock rear shock/springs give a nice ride and handle bumps just perfectly.

Haha. Totally. My xs650 rides "great" too. Then I ride my versys and I think.....oh yeah...that's what 40 years of technology does. Same with my 71 valiant.

Haha. Totally. My xs650 rides "great" too. Then I ride my versys and I think.....oh yeah...that's what 40 years of technology does. Same with my 71 valiant.

Oh yeah, you are so right! I guess some of us like 40 year old technology. Otherwise why would these bikes be so popular. The 1960's and 1970's were a great time in my life, and the XS650 keeps it fresh in my mind.

Would I want to have a 1960's or 1970's car as my only daily driver..................................absolutely not!

Cheap available parts aftermarket. And the modder crowd. And plain Ole good looks. Not to say they aren't great classic bikes. But ride a modern standard with usd forks/shock and modern radial tires and it makes me appreciate how far things have come. What feels like the limit on the Ole yam is a nothing on a modern bike. Sort of like the valiant. Love to drive it. Predict people's driving like my life depends on it though.

Last edited:
I have a set of very nice stock rear shocks. Is it possible to rebuild them?

Thanks!

Meanwhile..........Back on topic:)

After my rear shock deciding to fling itself all over my work space i would recommend, (i will anyways), dismantling and check all shock main shafts for any damage or fatigue.

I had removed my swing arm to replace the bushings and as i was squatting down pondering the universe and such i had a hold of the shock and was moving it about when it went off. Had been riding with this.

Here is a pic of the top of the shaft where it is/was attached to the top mount

Attachments

• P1090854.JPG
    P1090854.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 309
Only rear shock that has broken in my career was when we were riding 3 up on my Norton going up a steep rutted grassy slope while spectating at Road America. (Fireman's hill brat and beer stand at the top) Darned cheap girlings anyways.

Don't need to know the brand or model to know that no stock XS650 shocks were rebuildable without the use of a sawsall. I have seen a couple XS shocks that have puked their fluid. Rusty or bent rods probably the cause. Funny thing is an old XS is more fun on the streets and backroads than a big CC rocket or express that will blow through all the speed limits before hitting the power band in second gear.

A cheapo barely better alternative to replacing the stockers is new Bonneville or scrambler shocks if you can get them nice and cheap. But may still spring for a set of ikons.

"Would I want to have a 1960's or 1970's car as my only daily driver..................................absolutely not!"

Depending on the car, I would......

Meanwhile..........Back on topic:)

After my rear shock deciding to fling itself all over my work space i would recommend, (i will anyways), dismantling and check all shock main shafts for any damage or fatigue.

I had removed my swing arm to replace the bushings and as i was squatting down pondering the universe and such i had a hold of the shock and was moving it about when it went off. Had been riding with this.

Here is a pic of the top of the shaft where it is/was attached to the top mount

Very good point that a shock/spring assembly contains a LOT of potential energy just waiting to go off. 5twins has a good how to build a "shock spring remover" thread around here somewhere.

This one is good and appears simple to build, I like it alot!

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/pdfs/3055-129%20Instr%20Shock-Tool.pdf

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26835

e38050029.jpg

Lot of ways to skin this cat. Again, respect the potential energy waiting to bite.

Back