Replacing OEM Headlight

Grimmith

Samurai
Reaction score
I want to first apologize for the basic title, it's not exactly a simply replace the OEM headlight job....maybe... On my 77xs650n D the previous owner had "students" rake the front end, but the student's still kept the headlight mounts and headlight completely stock with all the wiring inside and what not. So I'm asking what the best headlight replacement would be for this. From TC bros. , Mikes XS, DB customs, I don't really care, just want the best option with minimal to no fabrication since I don't have the equipment or resources. I plan on installing switches and rewiring over the winter this year after getting the headlight.

I want to first apologize for the basic title, it's not exactly a simply replace the OEM headlight job....maybe... On my 77xs650n D the previous owner had "students" rake the front end, but the student's still kept the headlight mounts and headlight completely stock with all the wiring inside and what not. So I'm asking what the best headlight replacement would be for this. From TC bros. , Mikes XS, DB customs, I don't really care, just want the best option with minimal to no fabrication since I don't have the equipment or resources. I plan on installing switches and rewiring over the winter this year after getting the headlight.

Hi Grimmith,
I guess you don't have a problem with the headlight as such, except that the student's rake job points the headlight at the sky?
If so, all that it takes is to remove the tilt lock bolt under the lamp shell and swivel the shell downwards until it points down the road as it should.
Just keep the indicator nuts that hold the shell on real tight to keep the angle fixed.

Bro view S5 LED with an H4 reflector. Finally did a long night ride behind this set up. Dialed in the aim after getting flashed a couple times and am super happy. Bout 120 miles of two lane in the deer filled Wisconsin dark, couldn't be happier. Grabbed some more bulbs off flea bay, to use on more MC's, got 2 for $34, California shipping included.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/352358997143 this is just bulbs you still need to get a reflector, hint some XS1100 used H4 bulbs in the same size shell, and there are some India made reflectors that work well. Others have had success with all in one LED/reflectors. If you ride the country at night there really is no question, you need to switch to LED.

Yes it does point up, and sadly that lock bolt isn't there, nor came with the bike. Just for try I took the one off my 80xs650 but that didn't fit. I can't ride it at night lol.

Some xs850 triples also used the same size headlight, same chrome ring too.

In your case, you don't want the lock bolt. It would stop the headlight from tilting down enough.

Many, Many, Many motorcycles do not have that lock design on the headlight. YOU DON'T NEED IT. X it, delete it, remove the hardware for that lock whatever, point/aim the headlight and tighten.

Scott

I could, but I have no locking bolt to tilt it, and the light shines between 45 and 60 degrees up lol.

Hi Grimmith,
fer Chrissake why can't you realize that you don't need no steenkin' locking bolt , eh?
Remove the little shiny things that the locking bolt fits through and put them in your parts stash.
After those parts are out of the way the headlight can be swivelled so it points where it needs to.
Just like on a Britbike.

Stand in front of the headlight

Put one hand on top of the headlight

Put one hand under the headlight

Pull the top of the headlight

Push the bottom of the headlight
yeah so the
Hi Grimmith,
fer Chrissake why can't you realize that you don't need no steenkin' locking bolt , eh?
Remove the little shiny things that the locking bolt fits through and put them in your parts stash.
After those parts are out of the way the headlight can be swivelled so it points where it needs to.
Just like on a Britbike.
I did realize that....don't worry I figured it out with only help from non arsholes

yeah so the
I did realize that....don't worry I figured it out with only help from non arsholes

Hi Grimmith,
glad to hear that.
Your string of posts on the simple matter of how to tilt a headlight led me to suppose that you were as thick as two short planks
so my reply was written to match that level of understanding.

Back