Replacing Plugs, wires, caps

Garrett411

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Dumb question but i just bought some NGK iridiums (BPR-7EIX) i see i need to replace caps and wires. What resistance wires and caps should i get? Stock ignition and charging system. '79 xs650 special II.

Thanks guys!
Garrett

Your plugs are resistor type so you don't need or want resistor caps along with them. I recommend you use the non-resistor LZFH NGK caps .....

NGKLZFH.jpg

For wire, use plain wire core type, not resistor wire .....

EMPIPlugWire.jpg

I use VW Bug wires. A kit comes with 5 wires and will do 2 1/2 XS650s, lol.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=02ANVVBMQ9PHSA3FJEC1

A couple tips for the new plug wire install - if you go with the VW wires, you'll need to cut the crimp off the coil end and the straight rubber plug cap off the plug end. Don't worry, the wire will still be plenty long enough. In fact, to match the original length, you will probably need to shorten it an additional 4 or 5 inches. On the ends, strip about 1/8" of insulation off and fan the wire strands out in a radial pattern like so .....

PlugWireEnd.jpg

This will insure a good connection with the "screw" connector in the coil and cap. Coat the end and about 3/8" to 1/2" up the side of the wire with dielectric grease and "screw" it in. Once installed, coat another 3/8" or so of the outside of the wire with dielectric grease before pushing the rubber protection cap down into place. This will help seal and waterproof the connection for you.

You'll notice your original wires are covered for nearly their entire length with a protection sleeve. The protection sleeve is beneficial on the 6" to 8" of wire where it exits from under the tank but isn't necessary along the entire length. You can remove the sleeve from one of your old wires, cut it in half, and install the shorter sections on your new wires .....

ProtectionSleeve.jpg

The sleeve is glued to the wire with a strip of hot glue or something. Straighten an old coat hanger out, stick it down in between the wire and sleeve, and squirt some WD40 in there. Work the hanger and sleeve around until the glue breaks free. The glue strip will remain in the sleeve so once you have it properly positioned on the new wire and the WD40 dries out, it will re-glue itself to the new wire.

Back