repro triumph tank

Fraser

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi guys........

The build, Isaac thought that pre '70's Triumph gas tank would look "HOT" onn that XS650 frame eh.

So bought, and now..... :) trying to do a petcock eh.

Soooo that tank, true to her natiure comes (we didn't know~who knew ? ) :) with1/4" B.S.P. Threads eh ? lol lol "H" mmmmmmmm ? that means WHAT ?

The petcocks, I smile every time I type that.... oh sorry... anyhow.....the petcocks (still smiling) they are 3/8"NPT's soooooooooooooooooooo ?

Question : not knowing "math" (left school real early) is there enough meat in those Brit threads to drill out & tap those 3/8" threads then ?

OR :( :( :( do we gotta cut out old & weld new in ?

Thank You for your thoughts Guys....

Fraser

The major diameter of 1/4 in SP is .518 in. This means that the largest diameter of the threads is .518 in. The drill size to tap 3/8 NPT is 37/64, or .578 inches. So it appears that drilling out the 1/4 BSP with 37/64 will completely remove the old thread, and let you tap with 3/8 NPT. But that doesn't say anything about the material outside the hole, if there is enough there to cut the thread (about .675 inches major diameter) and hold. So it depends: how much material would be left after drilling the hole.

Posted via Mobile

Yeah, I had a Trident tank on my XS many years ago with a simple jumble-find tap(petcock) fitted £5 all in and much better than the Yamaha one!!

Back