Rotor nut removal

99nomad

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have the top end disassembled and am trying to get the rotor off to do the pma swap. This is probably very basic for most folks but how do you get the locking nut off. I understand that the rotor removal requires the special tool. Do you need to lock the crank in a specific way for removing this nut? I saw some posts on putting the motor in second gear, etc but all those describe the process on a assembled motor. Assuming you need an impact driver to get this nut off. I didn't see any specific examples of solving this with the engine off and i didn't want to damage anything..

Do you have the right side cover off? If so get a wooden or plastic wedge. Put a wrench on the nut, turn ccw, As you turn the nut slip the thin part of the wedge between the crank and clutch gears to hold the crank. Now keep turning the nut till it comes loose.
If the cover is on, get a strap wrench around the rotor and hold it while turning the nut to get it loose.
If you have an impact wrench just wrap a rag around the rotor, hold with your hand and spin the nut off.
Leo

Thanks let me give these a try. I have the right cover off. The bolt is all rusted up so maybe a little wd40 or penetrating oil should help..

get a setup like this with a small compressor, pretty much every garage could use one.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202207292/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
40287529-a4df-49e6-9fe7-2fe07982b51f_300.jpg

Thanks guy, managed to get the but off. It was rusted solid so some wd40 soaking helped. Then it was pretty supporting the engine the right way, locking the crank and applying some force carefully to get it off.

Back