Rubber or plastic in oil

diab

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just changed my oil and found some orange/red rubber pieces under my sump filter cover. Anybody have any ideas what they might be? Thanks.

There's some orangish colored o-rings used in the engine. Could closely examine your pieces and see if they have any resemblance to toothpick diameter...

There's some orangish colored o-rings used in the engine. Could closely examine your pieces and see if they have any resemblance to toothpick diameter...

yes I thought about those.
not sure how the 2 gaskets around the bottom of the cylinders could come loose and fall into the sump. they are pressed in between jugs and top casing.

I agree with that.
I would not use the red permatex on my engine anyway.
but as You know people have used it on these engines.
and also some noobs use to much sealer and it squishes out all over the place inside and out.

yes I thought about those.
not sure how the 2 gaskets around the bottom of the cylinders could come loose and fall into the sump. they are pressed in between jugs and top casing.

Where exactly are these gaskets? I have to take the engine apart and replace most of the gaskets soon anyways. Thanks.

Don't get in a hurry to just take the motor down for leaky gaskets. I've been running my leaking XS for 2-3 weeks now, and every time I ride it, the leaks slow down more. A fresh load of oil does wonders.

I retorqued the head set before I started running it and have done one re-torque. Probably going to do it again next week, even though it was pretty well stabilized this time.

there is a small round orange oil seal on the tacho drive on my 79 but it couldn't get inside the crankcase.
It does sound like silicon gasket which is bad news for your oilways

Back