Shinko 270 tires

Got the tires mounted changed the engine oil and fork oil ,flushed the front brake. Took it out for its first ride in 17 y ears, rode nice shifts smooth. Think i have a keeper e .[GALLERY=media, 27[URL='[URL]http://www.xs650.com/media/img_1291-1.27244/'][/URL]
107776-38ec412c3aa5e3e1dedab9cb0e52b69f.jpg
[/URL]242]IMG_1289[1] by CBJamie posted Mar 19, 2018 at 2:02 PM[/GALLERY]

I took my loose mag wheels into a shop and had them do the Shinko 270’s the first time, and they picked out the correct tubes for me. All I brought them was the wheels with old tires on and the two new tires. I had assumed (incorrectly) that the tires wouldn’t need tubes because the mags I had were for tubeless type tires. Luckily, this particular shop had encountered this issue and knew exactly what was needed to get me rolling. Recently though, I wound up swapping the 270’s for the Shinko 712’s and have been pleased at the change in handling...from the vintage tread and tubes to the modern rounder bias ply tubeless tire profile. However, I am currently in the process of putting the 270’s back on a spare set of mags, so that I can have them at the ready as spares. I was going to sell them (had them on the marketplace for a minute) but figured it would be more interesting to keep them for comparing and testing in the urban riding environment.

Thanks, I really like the look. I have only had a 12 mile ride on the 240's so really dont have enough time for a proper review. Intitiall thoughts are they ride smooth and seem to hold a line well, after some time in the saddle I will give a real review.

OK I put 110 miles on the Xs this weekend and have to say I like the 240 Shinko's so far. Ride is smooth and I havn't noticed any tracking or pulling issues at all. I have a low speed head head wobble when hands are off the handlebars, stops at anything over 30mph. A complete seprate issue is Sunday after noon I went to take my boy for a ride and the starter wouldn't turn the bike over, Kicked started it and it died before it warmed up. Upon inspection of the battery I noticed a heavy build up of corrosion on the positive terminal, preventing the charging of the battery. I had cleaned the termimal when new battery was installed. What would cause this quick build up of corrosion. Thanks Jamie

I get a slight head shake with my Shinko front tire too. It's the 712, and it's definitely the tire because I swapped on my spare wheel with a different brand tire and it went away. I don't think I'll be using Shinko fronts again.

It's common for battery terminals to corrode but I'm not sure why yours did so quickly. You should keep them coated with something to protect against the problem. For many, many years I've been coating mine with Vaseline. It works very well and I never get any corrosion on my terminals.

I'm going to coat terminals with Dielectric grease when the battery is full charged and test my charging system again.

OK I tested the charging system last evening after hooking up the fully charged battery,:cussing:and its not charging. I will have to do some componet testing to determine whats not working.:poo:

I've got 200+ miles on the Shiko 240's and have to say I'm pleased with them so far, ride is smooth no traking issues even on grooved pavement. Handle good with 2up and on wet roads too. Will give another report at around 500 miles.

Finally getting to mount my Shinko 240's on the xs. The rear tire is a tube type so even though i have tubeless wheel I purchased a new tube for it, well after getting the old tire off and put one side of the new 240 on the rim i pull my tube out of the box to install and I find it has the wrong valve stem:(. So I got the proper tube today hope all goes well tomorrow.
Scuse me but the sizes? Shinko dont have 3,60*19 front

sub'd. thinking of getting these for my bike. i have the mag wheels, will i need tubes or no?
Hi electra,
I run tubeless on my XS650 and my XS11.
The wheels with "suitable for tubeless tires" stamped into the web of one of it's spokes run tubeless for sure.
If the stamp ain't there it'd most likely still be OK but you takes your chances.
And like Gary sez, you may need to drill the valve stem hole bigger to fit the airtight tubeless valve stem.

Hi electra,
I run tubeless on my XS650 and my XS11.
The wheels with "suitable for tubeless tires" stamped into the web of one of it's spokes run tubeless for sure.
If the stamp ain't there it'd most likely still be OK but you takes your chances.
And like Gary sez, you may need to drill the valve stem hole bigger to fit the airtight tubeless valve stem.
I'm fairly certain the tires i have now are tubless. Will confirm tomorrow. I just wasn't sure if these vintage type tires work without tubes

I'm fairly certain the tires i have now are tubless. Will confirm tomorrow. I just wasn't sure if these vintage type tires work without tubes

Hi electra,
oops! Yeah, the tire gotta say "tubeless" on it, too.
Mind you, almost any tire made these days will go either way and will only need a tube when fitted to a wire-spoked wheel.
Tires that will only run with tubes in them don't have that extra layer of impervious rubber on the inside that stops 'em leaking.

I've been running a Shinko E 270 500/16 on the rear of my 83 droped seat and it has performed very well. The rear needed a bit more rim weight than I would have liked but I'm not sure if it's the tire or the rim that's off. The front is a Firestone 400/19 and has no fitment issues and also performs well. They give the bike the look I wanted and good tire performance .
tim
Timbeck, any chance you can share some pictures of your drop seat with those specific tires??? I’m brainstorming and having some trouble getting ideas. TIA.

Back