Should I buy?

swbill

Slacker garage shop
Reaction score
Hey guys I have been looking for a bike to start my second xs build. I found a 76 xs 650 that sounds like it need at least a new top end. The guy said it's not seized but the cylinders are rusty and It hasn't been started in a couple years. I can get the bike for $200 and it has a clean title. I will be doing a full chop so I don't care about the rest of the condition of the bike.
My question is am I better off finding a bike for $800-1g that runs rather than a $200 bike with known engine problems? I am capable of rebuilding the motor myself so I wouldn't be paying any labor other than any machine work needed on the cylinder.
Another twist, maybe this would be a great candidate for a 750 big bore I have been wanting to do?

it's not seized but the cylinders are rusty and It hasn't been started in a couple years.

Doesn't sound like it's aparts how does he know hte cylinders are rusty?

I can get the bike for $200 and it has a clean title.

Hard to go wrong at $200 for a titled bike. Once you have a title, No title bikes with good engines will find you.

maybe this would be a great candidate for a 750 big bore I have been wanting to do?

Yeah do that, you know you want to.

You'd be hard pressed to get an engine, without knowing whether it runs or not for $200 in some parts of the world, let alone a whole bike,

Good title, good price. If you can rebuild it yourself you will at least know what you have. I say go for it. Maybe it won't be in as bad of shape as you think. Maybe you can sell some of the take offs to recoup some of your cash outlay anyway.

Keep in mind you could spend 800 on a running bike and that find out it has serious problems anyway. Start with the 200$ bike and rebuild - you'll know exactly what you've got.

The difference between the 800-1000 dollar bike and the 200 dollar bike will pay for the 750 kit and afew more parts.
If the crank is ok then slipping the kit on is an easy to do upgrade. On a stock crank I would go with just the kit. Adding a big cam and big carbs may be too much for a stock crank.
Rebuilding a crank isn't nearly as hard as you might think. With the right tools it's a 1/2 to 1 day job. My crank was worn to nearly max specs. I put in new main bearings, Mike's heavy duty rods and bearings. Setting the clearances and truing took the most time.

Back