Signals and LED lighting

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
Will LED signals work with the XS? Anybody have any ideas for running LED signals? Or anything I should take into consideration.

They will work with the right flasher relay. I had to try about 4 different ones to find one that worked. I used this one:

Flasher Relay on Ebay

It works great, the only thing I need to sort out is the flasher indicator in the dash as it won't flash anymore. It's easy to forget the signals are on without the light in the dash.

They will work with the right flasher relay. I had to try about 4 different ones to find one that worked. I used this one:

Flasher Relay on Ebay

It works great, the only thing I need to sort out is the flasher indicator in the dash as it won't flash anymore. It's easy to forget the signals are on without the light in the dash.

Did your's flash too fast or not at all? I'm not worried about too fast but not at all is definitely going to be a problem.

I bought a flasher relay from advanced auto parts for less than 5 bucks It is a little small for the holder but I wrapped some tape around it and works great. Not sure of the part # but I will check tomorrow

id be interested in knowing that part number im having no flashing going on , worked fine with old lights , led lights nothing

thanks miller

The stock flasher is set up to flash with the current draw of two 27 watt turnsignal bulbs and one 3 watt indicator bulb. The LED bulbs draw much less current. You need a flasher that isn't load sensitive. I got my flasher at www.superbrightleds.com LF1-S-flat, they also have the same flasher with bullet connectors, LF1-S-PIN. $8.95. I got my bulbs there too. When I got the flasher and bulbs I tested the flasher to see how it worked before I installed the bulbs and flasher. It will flash just one led bulb. The spec say it will flash up to 150 watts. And that my freind is one hell of a lot of LED's.
The wire leads on the flasher are red and black. If you get the FLAT, just remove the plastic plug from the leads. It willplug right into the socket the stock flasher plugged into. Plug the red wire into the socket where the brown harness wire is, plug the black intowhere the brown/white harness wire is. Ignore the third wire, black or yellow/green. That went to the canceler.
On the bikes with two indicators they should flash fine with LED turns. On the single indicator bikes it wont flash. The way the single indicator is wired to both sides, it had a much lower current draw than the turn signal bulb, it could flash with out making the other side flash. With the LED bulbs the current draw is much less than the indicator so the indicator won't light. On mine 75 when I put a 79 dash on it I just wired theturn signal indicator to one side and the white headlamp failure bulb to the other side. So when one side flashes the indicator is amber, the other side is white. I pland on using two amber LED bulbs side by side in the place of the stock incandesant bulb in the turnsignal indicator. That way both sides will flash the amber indicator.

i got my new led lights hooked up into the proper wires ,
then i bought a adjustable flasher relay with ground , it only came with two prongs ,
i have been reading that one on the original is used for the dash indicator light and if you remove it then they should work fine ,
i plugged the original flasher relay in and the light come on but are steady they wont flash ,
any ideas on what my next steps should be?
im at a loss as im not very good at electrics

Does your adjustable flasher have leads or does it plug in? On mine with leads it only works with the leads plugged in one way.
On the early models the third wire, black, on the stock flasher went to ground.
On the later with self canceling, the third wire, yellow/green went to the canceler.

the unit has 2 prongs coming out of the black box , and one grey wire with a ground ring on it
i tired both ways , i read on another post that i could remove my self canceler , would i just unplug it or would i need to mess around with jumping wires ?

As far as I know you just unplug it. When you put the two prongs in the socket, make sure it plugs into where the brown and brown/white wires are.

Last edited:
ok here is the latest update with the led saga
so i have three flashers to choose from
stock gm flasher / lights steady
adjustable led compatible flashes with ground / flashes but very dim
and led compatible flasher with no ground / flashes but dim

so i unplugged the canceler unit
and tired each of the flasher but none worked correctly

could i hook them up on series ?
it's driving me crazy !!!

Start with the basics. The turn signal circuit is really simple if you get rid of the canceling unit which won't work anyway with the leds and two prong flasher.

With the key on you need 12v at the brown wire going to the flasher.
The brown/white goes from the flasher to the turn signal switch.
The dark brown/dark green wires from the switch go to the positives on the signals, other signal wires to ground.

Does your bike have a single dash indicator for the turn signals? If so unhook it and try the flashers because you need to have diodes in those wires in order for the system to work properly.

I looked at a 79 wiring diagram and it shows a dark green and dark brown going to a single bulb. Try unhooking it and see what you get.

ok they only way i could get them working is too use a light bulb on each side
wired in parallel with the led lights , i used a stock 2 prong flasher
so i think ill be picking up some resistors tomorrow that put out the same watt as a bulb. and ill hide them in the headlight , done !
its the only way to go !!! don't bother with those led flasher relays (pricey garbage)

If that's the only way you got them to work, then you have the wrong type/or bad flasher. I've got LED's on mine without resistors and it works fine. Adding resistors defeats the main purpose of using LED's...to lower current draw on the charging system.

Back