small battery

i run one the 0.8ah batteries, no problems. i put my headlight on a toggle switch, i keep it off until the bike is running. all the battery does until it starts is light up the tail light and power the coils

i'm doing the perm alternator swap (banshee) kick only, but i want to have my LED-taillight on when the engine stops on the road (for safety).
so can i swap the capacitor whit the small battery your talking about?

- yes, wire it in as the capacitor...stronger ground and heavier positive to fusebox

I had a 74 Kawasaki H2 500. You could start it with a dead battery, sorta. I had to leave the kill switch off and kickit until the neatral light started to glw, then turn the kill switch on and it would start right up. Or unhook the battery, start up then rehook battery.

ok thanXS.
otherwise i was going the capacitor-way, and have a small battery mounted whit a switch to the rearlight in case of emergency.

Last edited:
i've wondered about starting a bike with a dead battery.. if you only need a battery for the initial spark and it was dead, could you unhook all lights and just kick for a while? kicking will spin the motor, is it possible that it could give you a spark?

great thread, inxs if you wire the small batt. instead of cap., will the regulator throw in the right amps not to blow it?

Its all 12 volts. Still running my small battery with no problems. It has actually lasted longer than the $40 dollar piece of shit I bought last year. Love saving money on stuff like this:thumbsup:

if you wire the small batt. instead of cap., will the regulator throw in the right amps not to blow it?

- note, a capacitor can only be used with a permanent magnet alternator and these pump out the power, need to ensure your regulator is tiptop, when connecting a battery to a permag dont overcharge it...i havent used a battery with one so cant give first hand info, those i know personally with permags and who run batteries all have around 12-14 Ah
- the original charging system needs a battery to excite it, doesnt pump out loads of power - will only need a larger battery when running with an e-start...using LEDs helps relieve battery draw

thought id share mine
IMG_1452.jpg

- u.d - im a bit concerned about your rec-reg being there, they can get rather hot, hence the cooling fins and really should have a good air flow over them

Bloodthirsty, with the stock alternator you need a charged battery to get the alternator to produce an output.
With a P/M alternator it should start after enough kicks to charge the battery enough so it is not sending all the current to the battery.

Yes it can. I have a battery about the size of a cigarette pack. It is 1.3 ah and works fine with my kick only set-up. Go to radio shack or their website and search.

Photo05151426-vi.jpg
i finally uploaded a pic to my fotki.
This is what i'm using.
half the height, and since i kick only, no prob
Its a fence door opener battery. 24$ at del's feed.

Just so I'm clear, can you run a small battery, like Freak's, with a permanent mag setup? Or do you need a larger amp hour battery?

Back