some wiring diagrams

THANKS PHAIL !!

I will be tackling my wiring THIS WEEKEND while the pinstriper is working his magic. I will be using the above diagram but with battery, even accidentally found that exact fuse box at NAPA. ( pn 782-5316 if any one needs it )

QUESTION: what gauge wire is recommended for what sections ? I am on my iphone for the last few days and searching the site is TOUGH ! ( hope to have my lap top back tomorrow night or sat )

Thanks in advance !!!

This is a good diagram. It shows the basic points ignition with head, tail and brake lights.
It also shows the later TCI and combo reg/rec. Just swap the boxes around to match what you have.
Leo

Attachments

• 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 365
In that digram, if you use some other ignition, just wire it in after the engine stop switch, kill switch to some.
Leo

Just swap out the Cap for a Battery. Works the same way.

FIRST let me say THANK YOU Phail and others,

BUT, shouldnt I move the ignition switch to between the battery BEFORE the T for fuse block to keep from having constant power to the PMA ?

ALSO: (This is where I am really STUMPED !)

I will be using on the LEFT stock headlight hi / low, turn signal, and horn buttons. There are SO MANY wires I have them traced to the switches i.e HI / LOW, yellow, light green, blue w/yellow, blue w/ green & yellow w/black. Then the TURN has brown w/white, yellow w/red dark green and maroon

On the RIGHT the stock panic kill (Which has a brown and a red w/ white wire) how would I wire that into the system I would imagine somehow tie into the toggle kill switch for the Pamco ???

In my own defense I DID NOT disassemble the bike, I am such a wiring IDIOT I would have traced and checked each function and LABLED EVERYTHING !!!
I HAVE looked at the schematic for the 80 BUT cant make heads or tails of the BOXES at the top of the page which are I am guessing the switches.

SURELY I dont need ALL these wires but I cant figure out which ones are and are NOT needed

PLEASE HELP the ELECTRONICLY CHALLENGED !! :doh:

Thanks,
Nick

On your 80 left switches the headlight dimmer switch has A yellow, That's high beam, A yellow/red, that's power in, A dark green, that's low beam. the blue/green and yellowblue worked with the light checker and reserve lighting unit and safety relay to turn the lights on after the bike starts and turn one headlight beam on when the other blows out.
On a home brewed harness ignore these wires. All you need is the power in and out to the headlight. The red/yellow power in should be hooked to a switch so you can turn the headlight off to start the bike then back on when running.
On the Turn switch you have A Dark green wire, power out to right side. A brown/white power in from the flasher. A chocolate wire, the one I think you call maroon, power out to left side. A red/yellow wire, this works with the self canceler, ignore it. The black just ground it.
The horn button, a pink wire. Power goes to the horn, from the horn to the button, when pushed the button grounds and the horn toots.
On the engine stop switch the brown wire is power in the red/white is power out. hook the brown wire in after the main switch, the red/white out to the ignition.
Leo

On your 80 left switches the headlight dimmer switch has A yellow, That's high beam, A yellow/red, that's power in, A dark green, that's low beam. the blue/green and yellowblue worked with the light checker and reserve lighting unit and safety relay to turn the lights on after the bike starts and turn one headlight beam on when the other blows out.
On a home brewed harness ignore these wires. All you need is the power in and out to the headlight. The red/yellow power in should be hooked to a switch so you can turn the headlight off to start the bike then back on when running.
On the Turn switch you have A Dark green wire, power out to right side. A brown/white power in from the flasher. A chocolate wire, the one I think you call maroon, power out to left side. A red/yellow wire, this works with the self canceler, ignore it. The black just ground it.
The horn button, a pink wire. Power goes to the horn, from the horn to the button, when pushed the button grounds and the horn toots.
On the engine stop switch the brown wire is power in the red/white is power out. hook the brown wire in after the main switch, the red/white out to the ignition.
Leo

Aces to you Leo!

Turbofarviknugn,
did you ever figure out if you should move the key to before the T for the fuse block? Did anyone answer that for ya or did you figure it out? I'm wondering the same thing myself. Also, wouldn't the diagram Phail so graciously posted provide so the taillight is always on as long as the bike is on? Shouldn't that be wired in line with the headlight on/off/on switch?

Dave

I didnt get an answer to my question, after thinking on it I decided on my own to move the switch to be a total cut off and used the original kill switch as the cutoff for the Pamco. Another thing I did was added a rocker switch to be able to turn off the headlight and tail light while starting.

you shoud put a relay on the pamco so this way your ing. is getting the best power you can give it,this way if your switch is 70% you will get resistance on the contacts and will couse voltage drop,as for your headlight, on my friends bike(Harley) i put a vacume swith on the intake, and that turned on the headlight as soon the bike started

Can you wiring masters lend a helping hand. I have an 81 xs650sh. Pamcopete Ignition with Ultimate Highoutput Coil, Hugh's PMA setup. Everything works except for the estart. I really don't care how I hook it all up I just want the estart, blinkers, headlight and rear light. I do have an on/off control and a turn signal control. I did ask Hugh but I don't think he rips out the stock wiring. I do have a 4 fuse fuse box above my battery. Any help would be great

I am wondering if one of the electrical guru's out there could check over my updated diagram to run a xs650 with a PMA Kit, Pamco Ingnition, indicators and a mikesxs backlit speedo (with Neutral light, highbeam light and indicator light)

I have been working on this diagram based off some of the other diagrams for a solid couple of hours but need a set of eyes over this before I start buying and building my own wiring loom.

Hopefully this is going to work, and it might help out some of the other people that need that little extra help when it comes to wiring like I do.

Attachments

• Shaunys_pamco_pma_indicators_neutral_headlight_speedo_Final_for_Check.JPG
    Shaunys_pamco_pma_indicators_neutral_headlight_speedo_Final_for_Check.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 542
looks good!go for it but put smaller fuses 7.5A for turn and rearlight. any exposed wires cover it with hocky tape looks frinkin'cool all the bobbers i do thats what i use and instead of tieraps i use white string/twine looks retro

This is the diagram I am using. How should I make the connection in the places where there is a tee in the wiring like where the wire from the key ties into the hot wire coming from the capacitor and such. Thanks!

xs650-1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Butt connector with two in one side, just make sure the gauge will take the two and be snug enough for the one. Doesn't have to be too fancy considering the simplicity of stock.....imho.

Back