Speed wobble after bike got ran over

Yeah it looks like I put the dust shield on backwards that comes with the bearings. Now I gotta figure out how the hell to get the bearing and that off without breaking that dust shield. The things only about a 1/16th thick.

Hi perkinja,
gotta be at least 15 years since I did the tapered roller upgrade but as I remember it, my kit didn't come with any kind of dust shield.
I had to salvage the existing flat rubber washer that was around the outside of the steering stem's largest diameter.
Remove the lower roller assembly by tapping a thin steel wedge (a firewood hatchet, for instance) in from each side alternately between the bottom of the roller's centre and the step your seal is shown resting on top of to wedge the bearing off. The step the race fits on is only ~1/8" tall so the race don't have to move far before it's loose. Do not touch the rollers or the roller cage or they'll get damaged. Be prepared to kiss that seal goodbye but it don't look right anyway.
Well, it certainly don't look like the flat rubber washer that's in mine.

Last edited:
Yeah It came with 2 dust shields. They pressed into the bearings almost perfectly flush with the bottom portion of the bottom bearing if my memory is right.

Back