stainless spokes

fossilrider

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,I'm now looking for stainless spokes for a set of aluminum wheels I picked up.It looks like Buchanan's price is in the $100/wheel neighborhood (and I know their quality is good) and Mike's is about $75/wheel,(both + shipping).Not to badmouth anybody,but is there enough difference in quality to justify the extra $50? Has anyone here had less-than-satisfactory experiences with either of these,or are there other sources that I should consider? Thanks,Steve

Posted via Mobile

Buchanans' have an excellent reputation. You get what you pay for. :thumbsup:

A caution with stainless spokes. Stainless doesn't flex like steel spokes and if overtightened will get brittle and snap. If doing them yourself get the right info.

I would be cautious of a negative response as well, what is the experience of the person that did the wheel

Thanks guys,as I figured different opinions from different folks.I know from dealing with OSSAs,which came from the factory with stainless spokes,that stainless isn't magic and will break,as will steel.The lasting beauty is a very strong attribute as well as the low upkeep.As for overtorqueing,A very good friend,who owned a bicycle shop locally for decades and is an avid motorcyclist,builds wheels for a collector of vintage motorcycles here.He tells me that the recommended torque values from Buchanans is actually hard to get to.He has done most of the wheel work on bikes I have restored and I have used both Mike's and Buchanan's with no problems with either.Just wanted to pick the brains of those here before I make my next purchase.Thanks for the input.Steve

Posted via Mobile

I've done many wheels. I've used both cad and stainless spokes from all over except Buchanan's. I've never had any problems. I would only buy from Buchanan's if it was absolutely the only option available. I recently got stainless spokes for my old BMWs. These were the Clover brand, original O.E.M. supplier to BMW. I ordered them all the way from Germany AND they were still cheaper than Buchanan's. In this particular instance, paying the most did not equate to getting the best.

Thanks guys,as I figured different opinions from different folks.I know from dealing with OSSAs,which came from the factory with stainless spokes,that stainless isn't magic and will break,as will steel.The lasting beauty is a very strong attribute as well as the low upkeep.As for overtorqueing,A very good friend,who owned a bicycle shop locally for decades and is an avid motorcyclist,builds wheels for a collector of vintage motorcycles here.He tells me that the recommended torque values from Buchanans is actually hard to get to.He has done most of the wheel work on bikes I have restored and I have used both Mike's and Buchanan's with no problems with either.Just wanted to pick the brains of those here before I make my next purchase.Thanks for the input.Steve

Posted via Mobile

You have the experience and any info you gleamed was worthless.

Maybe a write up on your experience and knowledge may have been more helpful

Thanks 5twins.Yes I realize Buchanan's is pricey,and it's a toss-up as to whether they are worth the extra bucks especially for just a daily rider and not something that will be ridden hard/raced.The friend I mentioned earlier has a deal with Buchanan's and got the spokes for me,when he built my wheels,at close to Mike's price so I could go either way.As I said,just asking for input to consider.650skull,not sure what you meant in your reply.Hope I didn't offend anyone.Yes,I have restored a few bikes and built a nice (to me) bobber from a XS650 within the last few years but still have a lot to learn.I just like to ask for input,weigh it and then decide whether I will use it or not.Whether I use it or not,I still appreciate it.Regards,Steve

Posted via Mobile

Back