Star-shaped gear selector out of alignment

TwoMany, I will be checking and double-checking the sequence and making sure those clutch-basket marks line up with the casing. Just one thing, my clutch cross-head bolts are in good shape so I will be replacing them with the new springs. I see some of the guys are going for hex bolts with sleeves to fit. I can't find any sleeves that will take a 6mm hex bolt and fit in the springs. My limited equipment and tools doesn't stretch to drilling-out the cross-head bolts to re-use the sleeves.

Anlaf

I'm an advocate of polished contact surfaces, anything that rubs/rotates. If you have a polishing system, you could polish the shifter shaft, mostly where it rides in the case bores and that outboard seal. I personally experience smoother action when contact surfaces are polished, and seals last longer.

I've taken a closer look at my shift shaft since I am closer to re-assembly. I've got some wear - most prominently just past the groove in the shaft which is just outside where the shift shaft Seal goes. The wear is just outside the case bore on the left side (perhaps exactly where you are referring to TwoManyXS1Bs). The places are somewhat flattened and beyond polishing out. Any ideas as to what is causing this wear? Should I consider replacing the shift shaft, sanding out worn places or do nothing?

ShiftShaftWear2_zpsb370359a.jpg

Attachments

• Shift Shaft Wear.jpg
    Shift Shaft Wear.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
YamaLovin76, do you run the bike with or without the protector/guard between chain sprocket and shifter-shaft.

It was just a thought. One of my engines has no guard, and there is wear on the shifter-shaft, but more defined that the wear on yours, whiich may just be abrasion caused by the washer in front of the shifter-shaft oil seal.

Anlaf

Those wear marks are probably just from rubbing on the protector, not an issue. However, all that has to pass thru the seal when it is installed, so smoothing it out will help prevent damage to the seal when it is slid into place. The area I like to polish is behind the clip groove, where the seal rides and those areas where the shaft rides in the case bores. Not absolutely necessary, just my way, sort of an OCD thing, usually makes things work smoother...

I've always had the chain guide installed, can't comment on the practice of PO's.

I'll polish it up where recommended and move on.

Thank you both for the comments.

Back