stator cover ideas??

Maybe mikes still sells the one that is plain without the Yam name. You can use it as a form to mold the lexan to it, get the curved bulge. i guess you can fill weld the yam name too on a stock unit then grind it smooth to make your own die and save a few $.

im actually using the original cover to form some right now...which happens to make the yamaha come through. i found an optimal bake temp, time and cooling procedure. so im forming up four of them to start dabling with the aluminum overlay and bonding techniques. :cheers: by the end of the week i will have some pics of final pieces

full

:D so here are some pics of my first rough fab. the lexan is in place in all pics just hard to notice with it so clear. the aluminum overlay was real rough since i hand made the whole thing. i believe when i start either programing the knee mill or better yet when we have the lazer table up and running ill be able to produce much better face plates. over all i have my process down and just refining the small details. total time to make one roughly 2 hours start to finish. figure that time can get better when i refine the process. overall very satisfied and can not wait to start making some more. eventually i will be able to sell some to people who are intrested but first i want to get a better system for making the face plate. anyone has ?'s on any part of the process feel free to pm me.

full

full

full

full

Very cool! But does it FIT?!??!?:D

Let's see it on yer bike!!

ill have a picture of it on my bike this weekend. im just gunna go out on a limb and say its going to fit seems as it is the same exact thickness and the diameter is within .005 but hey who knows. once i start just lazer cutting the pieces i will not even have to think about measuring.

I wonder if you could do a thin foil pattern sandwiched 'tween two thinner lexan sheets?

that is a great idea!! it would be a bit tricky to get the right thickness due to the fact lexan comes in standard sizes so to get all three layers to the right thickness can have its challenges. the aluminum can always be surface ground to get a desired thickness but the lexan would have to be heated and streched?? or better yet vaccum molded to a desired thickness. im still debating if i want to try cutting pieces on the knee mill or waiting till other methods become available.

much past covers i wonder what i can make with this material??? a see thru battery or air box... my next trials will be in joining the material together. i was wondering what it would be like to be able to make like a clear oil container..i know pressure with heat would be the main issue.

Clear valve covers could be fun. Any old farts remember watching coffee percolators?

somebody makes clear covers for ducati singles already on ebay (ducati single gear gazer) $129.definitly has that cool factor though would be a bit more intresting than watching tappets tapping away

Oh, yeah, thanx for the link. Always wondered what that would look like, and if the innards would be that visible. I can see his reluctance, complicated part shape, and I think I see some cracking on the stud holes...

heres an attempt, but because of cash flow duders backed out. http://leospeedshop.blogspot.com/2011/02/xs650-parts.html sweet looking. id be into it if the money was right.

i can not view the link right now but i want to see what they gave up on.. i think clear covers for valves would not be too hard. the problem of cracking was prob the material they had chosen. i had a slight dumb@ss moment the other day.. i had went to make 4 clear covers and did not realize the thinner material i wanted to use was not the same as the thicker lexan. i wound up throwing out the 4 i made the other day because they were not crack/shatter resistant. i now have to either hope the thicker material thins out when forming or ill be taking a trip to get thinner lexan. next issue i recently faced was picking a bonding agent for my aluminum overlay. i went with a rigid setting and now think maybe something with more flex is needed to ensure the vibration will not seperate the two layers. i do love trial and error lol :D

somebody makes clear covers for ducati singles already on ebay (ducati single gear gazer) $129.definitly has that cool factor though would be a bit more intresting than watching tappets tapping away

WHATTT!!! $129??? ohh man i gotta see how nice these are. if i could be making parts n selling for that price im in the wrong buisness haha. i figured if i get my process and parts to what i feel accetable quality i might start making a few for sale every now n then... i do fabricate more for fun but if i can make a lil scratch to put twords other builds and endevours then im deffinetly not against it :)

WHATTT!!! $129??? ohh man i gotta see how nice these are. if i could be making parts n selling for that price im in the wrong buisness haha. i figured if i get my process and parts to what i feel accetable quality i might start making a few for sale every now n then... i do fabricate more for fun but if i can make a lil scratch to put twords other builds and endevours then im deffinetly not against it :)

ducati owners are like harly owners,they love spending money :D (though these are nicely made and worth a look,might give you a couple of ideas)

so did you get the cover you ordered airwolfie?? i want to see what your going to do to your clear cover. i like the flat style you picked up but the curved look fits the housing better. i was thinking of doing a whole steam punk themed motorcycle..the thought of dark stained woods with lots of copper and brass both polished and weathered :D

Back