stator cover ideas??

what would the clear cover run someone shipped?

hi jake... right now im not selling my covers. it was a trial and error test with lexan. i recently noticed that there was a high demand for certain parts and would like to make batches of the profiled covers available but need to spend some time refining my process and ensuring that a quality product can be made consistently. when i make my first batch i will let you know :) your more than welcome to pm me, and i can look at making one custom for someone.

so did you get the cover you ordered airwolfie?? i want to see what your going to do to your clear cover. i like the flat style you picked up but the curved look fits the housing better. i was thinking of doing a whole steam punk themed motorcycle..the thought of dark stained woods with lots of copper and brass both polished and weathered :D

No not yet. I will post up what I have done when I have done it lol!

I got no time at the mo, work is killing me with overtime, consequently I end up vegetating in front of telly all weekend! I'll get on it soon............:thumbsup:

Imagine something like what you've done below, except the center part is the Yamaha tuning fork logo - made from real tuning forks welded together. Cut the tuning forks and intersect them in the same plane and weld them together like the logo. They are steel and not very expensive. And they come in all sizes. You should be sure to use the the kind that comes to a point on the bottom, like the ones in the logo have. That point is to go into a hole in a thing called a resonator box. The main thing is that style of fork would look much cooler.

03_GSXR.JPG

Imagine something like what you've done below, except the center part is the Yamaha tuning fork logo - made from real tuning forks welded together. Cut the tuning forks and intersect them in the same plane and weld them together like the logo. They are steel and not very expensive. And they come in all sizes. You should be sure to use the the kind that comes to a point on the bottom, like the ones in the logo have. That point is to go into a hole in a thing called a resonator box. The main thing is that style of fork would look much cooler.

that is a really cool idea :) an just to clarify i did not make that part in the pic that was a base concept for what i had done. someday mine will look that nice but right now im just trial and error messing arround with materials. does anyone know how i can change the title of a thread??? it went from stator ideas to kiinda how i was making mine to idk what :D i shoulda split the two n made one ideas and one the actual fab i did...but as i said im trial and error with one lesson learned on how to forum :laugh:

I've thought the stock cover with the Yamaha block letter cut out and brass screen behind would be a nice effect. The air would cool the hot over stressed rotor also.

And a possible idea is to bridge the brushes with a low watt bulb to light up the inside. I'm not sure how well this would effect the operation of the alternator. I think it should get brighter and dimmer with load.

Steampunk is cool but fake. Lots of crude ways to get the look without turning an XS into a flat black rat bike. There are brass rivets and metal washes. Metal leafing parts is another technique. Use the copper tape for stained glass and solder parts together. The headlight shell is black so the rim could be copper leafed and holes drill every inch for brass rivets. I have a hand made belt buckle that is brass plate with copper over it. The copper is held on with brass rivets. The plate and copper are curved by hammering and the hammer marks are still visable, just polished. Bought in the 70's and worn every day since. It is Steampunk before anime. :^)

Tom

Last edited:
I've thought the stock cover with the Yamaha block letter cut out and brass screen behind would be a nice effect. The air would cool the hot over stressed rotor also.

Now, there's an idea. You could mill-out the area behind the lettering (from the backside), just enough to expose the lettering, and fit your screen into the milled-out area...

And a possible idea is to bridge the brushes with a low watt bulb to light up the inside. I'm not sure how well this would effect the operation of the alternator. I think it should get brighter and dimmer with load.

Steampunk is cool but fake. Lots of crude ways to get the look without turning an XS into a flat black rat bike. There are brass rivets and metal washes. Metal leafing parts is another technique. Use the copper tape for stained glass and solder parts together. The headlight shell is black so the rim could be copper leafed and holes drill every inch for brass rivets. I have a hand made belt buckle that is brass plate with copper over it. The copper is held on with brass rivets. The plate and copper are curved by hammering and the hammer marks are still visable, just polished. Bought in the 70's and worn every day since. It is Steampunk before anime. :^)

those are some really awesom ideas for a cover and back light. as you said i also have no clue what the effect of putting a load on the brushes would have on the charging system per say but i do not think it would have a good effect for some reason. and the whole idea of steam punk is fake..i would want to do alot of what you listed like trying brass rivits, maybe colored leafing, brass overlays and copper accents heck even a wood seat... but for some reason i think adding random stuff to make the whole motor and bike seem a thousand times more complicated would be neat. in no way would it be for function or anything like that.

I would like three horizontal vent slots above and below the Yamaha name, round ends on each vent, with a fine mesh stainless steel screen behind it to keep the crap out. Sort of like a vintage microphone look.

I would like three horizontal vent slots above and below the Yamaha name, round ends on each vent, with a fine mesh stainless steel screen behind it to keep the crap out. Sort of like a vintage microphone look.

I can make one, just have to figure out how to keep the mesh in place.

Here's my air filter with brass mesh
10516614_10206752241099336_4128036439361147143_n.jpg

and here's my taillight ;)
72047_1636130977853_5397131_n.jpg

Last edited:
I made one with cutouts and perforated steel. You can see the rough version in my avatar.

Back