Street Tracker 650 for Fun

JAGspeed

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
New to the forum and picked up a 79 XS650 special that has a bent front end. I've already made some progress on the bike. I found a '01 R6 front end for it. I am using a triple tree from a 80's dirt bike I had lying around, it fits the forks has rubber handlebar mounts and a little less offset than the R6 clamp. I had to cut the steering stem on the dirt bike clamp and the one from the XS, welded the two together to fit the neck. Here is a pick of the original bike and one of my front end.

Attachments

• XS650a.jpg
    XS650a.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 407
  • XS650b.jpg
    XS650b.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 450
I don't know about you guys but I feel like a kid on Christmas morning every time the UPS guy shows up at my door. I got the swingarm and shock that I will be using for the tracker. The swingarm is from a 82 Yamaha XT550 and the shock is off a Buell XB9. I decided on a single shock to give the bike a different look, and it allows me to have more modern suspension. The XT swingarm gives me the dimensions I wanted and has the same pivot bolt size as the XS. The shock dimensions of the XB9 were a good match for the setup I am using. With some slight modifications and a custom spacer I was able to mock up the swingarm. It's going to take a little mathematical calculations and some cutting and welding to make the shock fit. Still waiting on some other parts, but will update soon.

Attachments

• XS650c.jpg
    XS650c.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 359
  • XS650d.jpg
    XS650d.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 344
  • XS650e.jpg
    XS650e.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 380
Yes that big brown truck days are good for sure. Looks like your going to have a cool build will take a little figuring out but sounds like you are on task. That is going look good and have a whole lot more handling amenities for sure. Keep up the posts you have a good long weekend here.

That big brown truck showed up again with some more goodies! Since the original tank was beat up I decided to find an alternative. I found a Suzuki tank that was a little shorter and gave me more clearance for my top shock mount, plus I thought it had a good look for my project. I may cut and weld in the Yamaha gas cap to this tank for a different look.
I also received the rotors I will be using from a Ducati 900ss. I will have to make some spacers to get the right clearance for the forks and calipers. I will be using the Yamaha R6 calipers so I will have to make some new caliper brackets because the R6 used 300mm disc and the Duc rotors are 320mm's. Should stop really well!

Attachments

• XS650f.jpg
    XS650f.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 296
  • XS650g.jpg
    XS650g.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 306
Did some fab work on the swingarm. I had to modify it quite a bit to get the shock mount in the right location, so I would have the right leverage ratio for the shock. I also put in some extra bracing for strength.

Attachments

• XS650h.jpg
    XS650h.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 291
  • XS650i.jpg
    XS650i.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 284
Mounted the shock today. I raised the rear by 1 3/4" from stock. The front end is about 1" lower to give me a 23 degree rake angle. Also cut the sub-frame out, I will be trimming some off the frame later and adding more support when I figure out how I will run my exhaust. I am going to build my own subframe for a tracker seat. I was able to trade a friend that is doing a bobber project my 16" wheel for an 18" (love free-bees).
I need to work on the front end next. Having trouble making the speedo drive clear the front disc bolts. May use an aftermarket electric speedo and tach. Not sure yet.

Attachments

• XS650k.jpg
    XS650k.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 321
  • XS650jjpg.jpg
    XS650jjpg.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 315
I cut the frame down to where I wanted it. Bent some tubing and welded it up. Tried to keep with the lines of the bike and also make it look like it came from the factory that way. Going to make the sub-frame next.

Attachments

• XS650l.jpg
    XS650l.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 324
  • XS650m.jpg
    XS650m.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 298
  • XS650n.jpg
    XS650n.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 313
What does your new triple tree do to all the geometry goin' on up there? I know there are geometry calculators but when I tried to use one, i got confused with all the terms. Anyone play with these things?

What does your new triple tree do to all the geometry goin' on up there? I know there are geometry calculators but when I tried to use one, i got confused with all the terms. Anyone play with these things?

You definitely need to have an some understanding of rake and trail geometry to know what effects it has when using different parts. There are several good articles on the web explaining the details of this. I would have to write a book to explain it all.
Basically more rake is more stable less rake gives you better handling . Trail affects the handling, steering quickness and stability. Both rake and trail can be changed for different handling characteristics.
On my 650 I raised the rear end and lowered the front which changed my rake from 26° to 23°. (Better handling). The R6 triple clamp has a 35mm offset, and would have worked fine, I am using a clamp that has a 25mm offset. This gives me more trail, about 105mm, and makes the bike more stable with the steep 23° rake. Less offset also shortens the wheelbase slightly and changes weight bias more towards the front wheel. I won't know for sure how it will feel when it's done but I'm OK with my numbers and always up for some experimentation.

Glad you've considered all the handling variables. I found a calculater that seemed pretty friendly. This stuff can get crazy

Last edited:
Worked on my front brakes this week. I had a couple of spacers made to locate the rotors in the right position. I made up two brackets to relocate the calipers to work with the 320mm rotors. I still need to get some longer brake lines.

Attachments

• xs650q.jpg
    xs650q.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 204
  • xs650p.jpg
    xs650p.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 249
JAGSpeed,

You can custom order the SS brake lines from www.spieglerusa.com I ordered two custom lines from them for my '81 CB750 and ran them both from the master cylinder to their respective calipers. No need for a splitter. You will, of course, need a double banjo bolt, which they have as well. The banjos are aluminum as are the crush washers, so just use their recommended 14.5 ft/lbs to torque the bolts. Do not use copper crush washers.

cb750clines.jpg

Finished my subframe and tracker tail. I made a removable sub-frame to fit my tail section. I will probably make a mount for the electrics to mount to this. I decided to use a street tracker tail from Hotwings glass, but cut and modded it to get a different look. Kinda a Moto-Tracker, I guess.

Attachments

• xs subframe.jpg
    xs subframe.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 264
  • XS650r.jpg
    XS650r.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 334
  • XS650 t.jpg
    XS650 t.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 436
Back