Street Tracker 650 for Fun

I'm also looking to do a mono-shock and was wondering if you could fill me on some of the details. My rim choice does however have me going to about a 10 1/2 inch wide inner dimension on the swing arm. I was hoping to go with one from a crotch rocket just for the sake of all the pre-assembled mounting brackets. I was curious to know how you found out the I.D. of the swing arm. I'm hoping you know of a way to search that, cause I find them on ebay, but with little measurement info. I also am trying to avoid going one by one.

Doing a single shock mod works great if you understand the geometry and overall suspension characteristics that you are looking for. I've seen may guys with single shocks that look great but were not very well thought out.
There are several things to take in to consideration when doing this mod.
(1) What type of riding are you doing
(2) Leverage ratio
(2) Overall travel
(3) Shock length
(4 ) Shock spring rate
(5) Shaft travel of the shock
(6) Mounting points
(7) Suspension geometry
(8) Rider weight
The major manufacturers have spent years and a tons of R&D to get to a point where everything works together.
If you use a donor shock and swing arm try and keep the leverage ratios the same for optimal performance.
Finding a swing arm that would fit for me took some research and asking people on E-bay to give me specific measurements. For example I found a XT550 swing arm had the same pivot bolt diameter and the width at the pivot was close, but the center line of the swing arm was sightly offset so I had to compensate for that. An XT550 shock was to long and outdated so I used a Buell XB12 Shock. I had to move the mounting point on the swing arm to get the correct leverage ratio so it would function as it was intended to.
It can be a little complicated ,but can work really well if you understand some basics.

What wheel are you using? Do you know what swing arm length you want? How do you want your shock mounted? (vertical.. horizontal.. angled..?) I'll be glad to help if I can , Let me know.

Hey JAG, did you fabricate the pipes yourself? If you did, I might have some work for you. :-D

I did the pipes myself, although I used existing parts from a couple of other bikes. I could probably make somthing for you.

I'm curious what you made your spacers for your front rotors out of. I have the same calipers and some 7075 round stock. Do you think that would work?

I'm curious what you made your spacers for your front rotors out of. I have the same calipers and some 7075 round stock. Do you think that would work?

I have a machinist that made them for me out of a flat piece of 7075 aluminum. I'm sure you could easily make it work with round stock. The main thing with those calipers is getting them to clear the spokes. They need to be spaced out quite a bit to clear, which also means spacing the rotors to match.

Can hardly wait to see it in paint. That bike will draw a crowd wherever you go. Really a super build. Show quality very innovative and well built. :thumbsup:

Can hardly wait to see it in paint. That bike will draw a crowd wherever you go. Really a super build. Show quality very innovative and well built. :thumbsup:

Soon enough, I just got everything back from paint today. I should be able to get it together and have some pics next week . I've been busy building another XS cafe bike lately for a friend of mine and have been slow to get my own bike done. I will try and start a new thread on that bike soon.
Thanks for the positive feedback.

Well the day has finally come. To bad it is freezing cold and raining. Really happy with how it looks. Still need to ride it and dial it in. Eventually I want to rephase it and add a big bore kit and some other goodies , but for now I have an XV920R cafe project to get to. So I will just enjoy it for a while the way it is.

Attachments

• XS Tracker a.jpg
    XS Tracker a.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 265
  • XS Tracker b.jpg
    XS Tracker b.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 240
  • XS Tracker d.jpg
    XS Tracker d.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 223
  • XS Tracker f.jpg
    XS Tracker f.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 228
Jesus. That is some sexy shit right there. Yeah, too bad with this freaking weather here man. It put my MikesXS purchases on hold since I have to invest in a good set of tires for my car. Currently using NITTO INVOs and those have no grip whatsoever even with flurries. Can't wait to see this beast.

Hope you don't mind, I just nominated your bike for the new calendar. You need to go over to that thread and accept, voting starts soon.

Here are some other pics of the bike.

Attachments

• XS Tracker2a.jpg
    XS Tracker2a.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_1933a.jpg
    IMG_1933a.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_1901a.jpg
    IMG_1901a.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 173
  • XS T a.jpg
    XS T a.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 192
That is one of the nicest builds so far and some really nice bikes have been built on site. Really enjoyed watching. Thanks for showing. Let us know how it rides weather permitting. :thumbsup:

Back