street tracker guys

- a club member here built it out of scrap stainless he had laying around..peter von sphinx

- the king @ p=30000
kennyroberts1975fromcamelpressbook7.jpg

So, back to the 19" rear. I'm totally new to these bikes, so pardon my question if it's stupid. Is there any reason I couldn't lace a 19" rim to the stock rear hub?

I have stock1977rims. 19front 18rear building a tracker and wondering what size (fat) to run. want as much as i can get. I think 400 is stock on the rear. iseems like the tracker pics i see are much bigger maxxis anybody know what size?.

I think this fits with this thread. Has anyone adapted a set of supermoto wheels to an XS? Like there is ANYTHING that has not been done to an XS (laugh) I am interested in how ground clearance with 17" wheels works out and what other "issues" come with adapting a set.

I think the problem area you'll find tough is that with a Super Moto wheel set-up, you'll be going to a 17" rear wheel. So the bike will sit pretty low. So then you'll go to longer shocks to get the bike back up off the ground and the chain will drag like a sumbich on the swingarm pivot. Plus with smaller rear wheel, you'll need to go UP with the gearing, meaning a smaller rear sprocket which means the chain will drag even more on the swingarm pivot. The fix for all this would be to run a Super-Moto set-up with an 18" rear wheel.

I assume you are just going for "Appearence" and not concerned with function. But an
18" would keep the bike a rideable unit without maxing out at 60 mph! Maybe do a SM look with 18's front and rear.

You can get different rims sizes with the supermoto type wheels/hubs. 18 and 21 inch for sure-they are intended for MX use on the same bikes. The rear hub has no cushion which is the same as the xs. You can get a pretty good price on the DNA brand wheels.

John

seems like a set of two wheels complete with brakes can be had for about $6-650 on flea bay they are normally 17s front and rear. With tucked or high pipes clearance shouldn't be too bad, no worse than the typical 80's era inline 4? The specials run a 16" rim albeit with high profile tire. Bumping the front sprocket up a tooth should be equal to 2 or three less on the rear?

Going back a few posts on the 19" rims, Maxiss tires are temporarily out of production, so your choice for 19" DT tires are the Goodyear/Dunlops. Period. Putting a 19" rim on the rear with a stock hub costs more than $100.00 for spokes. You will also need a rim and it has to be drilled for a 650 large diamter rear hub. Figure $250.00 for that. I personally have never used an Omars front wheel kit to put a front wheel (extremely narrow) on the back of an XS650, but comparing the physical size, amount of material and "Beef" that a 650 rear hub has, perhaps there is a reason the factory doesn't run a tiny, narrow front hub on the rear? Aslo with spoke flanges very narrow, the wheel under rider/bike weight and cornering loads if ridden aggressively, can over power a weak spoke triangle (narrow at the hub) very easily. This is done primarily for looks. Definitely not a racing application.

Get an aluminum Sportster rear hub and then you can have a spool with disc brake and get Sportster bolt pattern sprockets all day long. Did I say strong? Go to single row bearings and lose the stock, heavy double row bearings and you've got a real Pro set-up, not an appearence, wannabe wheel.

On the 17" rear wheel and tire availabilty thing, of course there are a billion 17" tire choices out there! Unfortunately that has little corelation to a bike who's chassis was design in 1968! Yes, you could get hubs, wheels, a swing arm, forks or whatever and eventually graft them to a 650 frame structure. Then what? Then you'll experience issues such as I mentioned where some serious re-engineering will be necessary, such as repositioning the motor or swingarm pivot or custom frame. And by the time you're all sorted out, your buddy put 18's front and rear on his bike and he's been riding everyday for the last 2 years.

When it comes to far-out custom changes, do some calculating, a bunch of sketches, mock fit-ups and lots of measuring before you start purchasing expensive components. You'll be miles ahead or at the least you may not end up way down an expensive dead-end path.

Mule, that's better; a little off putting but realistic and much more information. I have a KZ750 rear disk spoke set up laying on the floor now. Cush hub, plenty beefy, uses a 19mm axle. I think some machining of the spacers will let me get it in the XS swing arm. steel 18" rim is about the worst draw back, put a KZ305 disk on it to solve size issues with the XS caliper and mount. Bought a bike, took what I wanted and sold the rest for what I paid. So it's not too expensive. I have three riders, so I am not missing road time yet. Gary

Back