Stuck right case cover

streetspirit7

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
So I've recently picked up a 79 XS650 and am trying to change the shift shaft. I know my way around a car motor but this is my first motorcycle. I can not for the life of me get the right case cover off. I may be missing something, but I took off all the 5mm socket type bolts and the tach cable. The cover however just won't come off. I started off tapping it with a rubber mallet, then gave it a few good hits, but it still has not budged. I defiantly have all the socket bolts out, am I missing something else? Any ideas on how to loosen it?

Usually it's the other side that gives problems. Try going around the seams with a can of PB Blaster. Hot and cold but not too much of either.

Have you removed the oil filter assembly? Does the tach drive (not cable) need to come out?

Now if I could just get this stupid megaphone to come off of the 2-1 header...

Last edited:
I took the tach cable and drive out, and the oil filter and bolt holding it in. So, spray it with blaster and and maybe use a heat gun to warm it up around the seams?

I took the tach cable and drive out, and the oil filter and bolt holding it in. So, spray it with blaster and and maybe use a heat gun to warm it up around the seams?

Yeah, but go slow. Heat guns are usually a better choice than a torch. I've found that PB Blaster works best on warm parts. Warm, not hot. If it's really cold where you're working you might do well to find a warmer place.

I sometimes spray on the PB Blaster, wait a few days, spray on the PB Blaster, wait a few days... Take your time.

Most of my experience in H-D so you'd do well to wait for others to chime in.

I took the tach cable and drive out,
you didn't need to remove the drive, be aware there is a machine thrust washer (part #8) that goes on that shaft if it gets lost into the engine nothing good can come from it

Most of my experience in H-D so you'd do well to wait for others to chime in.
and you didn't advise the BFH?:laugh:

Attachments

• tachometer-gear.PNG
    tachometer-gear.PNG
    44.2 KB · Views: 80
It sounds like a PM, previous moron, Used a gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket, or just used the gasket sealer without a gasket when they put the cover on.
It will take a bit of work to get off. You might try a thin bladed putty knife and carefully tap it in between the case and cover to get it started and work your way around. Be very careful, you don't want to gouge the sealing surfaces. That will make it leak, even with a new gasket.

What Leo said I tend to sharpen my putty knifes and round the sharp corners so they don't gouge. If you get some of the cover loose with two putty knifes and tap the raised area the putty knives will act as fulcrums and help lift the other part of the cover. Well it has worked for me anyway.

It sounds like a PM, previous moron, Used a gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket, or just used the gasket sealer without a gasket when they put the cover on.
It will take a bit of work to get off. You might try a thin bladed putty knife and carefully tap it in between the case and cover to get it started and work your way around. Be very careful, you don't want to gouge the sealing surfaces. That will make it leak, even with a new gasket.

Sounds like that old Indian Head sealant-- who needs bolts?

I got it off. I think it was just being stubborn, but I soaked it in PB Blaster, let it soak for a day and popped it off with a rubber mallet.

That's usually my solution... rubber mallet, or the ass end of whatever tool I have near by. Good to hear you got it off. I just got done replacing my shift shaft earlier today.

Back