Stupid pma/pamco question

Mikevogt

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just finished my xs chopper have a normal pamco unit and a pma from tcbros website. My bike just has a normal harley coil. It starts and runs but when i turn ignition on the coil draws from 12.5 volts to 3 making the pamco voltage too low so it doesnt fire. Bike has only a capicator if I hook a bike battery up it works fine. Note also my tins come back from paint tomorrow so its only run for a few seconds off of a funnel with gas. Anyone think the coil is the issue or the capicator. Im not opposed to running a battery either just want it to hold 12 something volts. Wiring has been checked and its all good, it is a very minimal harness with nothing to it except power to nessacary things. Thanks for any input.

a capicator is not a battery it will not hold a cahrge after it drawed down whats the voltage when kicking it over the pma will charge the the cap.and when running a cap all the lights have to be off when starting or the light will draw the voltage down.

Makes sense I do understand that. I have the electric starter still hooked up with leads just going to a battery to spin it over and it cant seem to get more then 4 volts which wont allow it to spark. By kicking it can you somehow spin the pma better to give more voltage?

yes a little but you may have a bad cap,I never liked the cap set up,they were crap on old brit bikes ( someone even made a 9volt battery back up at one time to charge the cap to start the bsa's) I run pma pamco 277 rephase and a battery just seems to work
(as long as the battery is ok I'v had a bad run of batterys this year lol)

I would agree with Dirty Dog. I used to run with a cap but have since switched to a small Ballistic Evo II battery in a gutted starter and run kick only.

I love my capacitor only system. I'm running the X-charge PMA and Pamco. Engine is re-phased 277, kick only. My capacitor is the aftermarket one available through Monster Craftsman, or Lowbrow Customs. First or second kick every time.

Maybe when you get it running, have the timing light ready to check ignition timing. If it is off, it will be difficult to start.

I would agree with Dirty Dog. I used to run with a cap but have since switched to a small Ballistic Evo II battery in a gutted starter and run kick only.

I like the looks of the Ballistic Evo II but the price is a little high for me, do you know of a similar battery for cheaper? Currently I'm trying to run Hughs PMA, Kick only, Pamco and HO coil, but the sparks capacitor I'm using isn't doing squat for me.

I haven't used a Ballistic battery yet I like the look also but I have heard of a lot of problems with them hear lately,I just did a buddys with a small agm battery works great

just make sure you get a good brand name I got one off ebay lasted 1 day after the 30 day warrnanty lol then went through 3 local auto parts store batterys I went to a interstate battery same cost 1 year replacement,(for me here in portsmouth I just had to drive to get one) RTX4L-BS 200 cca it will even work the elc starter if it strarts good,
but I woukdn't rec it.works great for kick only

Back