Tank lined??

mattylmbr

mattylmbr
Reaction score
Picked up a 73 tank - absolute gorgeous on the outside. However - always a but - looks like there may have been some type of liquid tank lined applied inside? Definitively does not look like bare metal.

So -

- is this lined?
- if so, is there concern?
- what can I do to help this tank?

Pics below.

Attachments

• IMG_2348.JPG
    IMG_2348.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2347.JPG
    IMG_2347.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2346.JPG
    IMG_2346.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 84
Yes it looks lined. Guess I might add some gas shake a it a bit and drain, repeat til nothing but clear gas comes out? let it sit with the gas overnight or longer recheck the condition of the liner. If it passes those it should be good to go.

Yes it looks lined. Guess I might add some gas shake a it a bit and drain, repeat til nothing but clear gas comes out? let it sit with the gas overnight or longer recheck the condition of the liner. If it passes those it should be good to go.

Wondering if I should see if I can get the liner out and start from scratch. The outside of the tank is in fantastic condition.

I would test it out as Gary suggested. You may not have a problem.
Trying to remove the liner would be my last resort.

MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) will dissolve the old liner. it can be found at auto paint shops. It is very nasty stuff, so wear thick rubber gloves and face/eye protection and use in a well ventilated area. liners are not needed on sound tanks, as ethanol in gas nowadays keeps water from settling at the bottom of your tank.

Back