Tank/Side Cover Fitment Question

Stone Co Rambler

Tarmac & Terra Firma
Reaction score
I have a 79F

Will a 80 on G tank and side covers work w/o fitment issues.

Looking at photos I can see the tank filler is in the center of the 80 on tank, different than my 79, which is off center. Wondering if I can swap gas caps?

I see the 80 on tank has two petcock holes, which matches my 79

Also, 80 on side covers have a different flare/round cut on the forward part of the side cover.

Will the 80 on fit on a 79F just the same?

Thanks

The tank will, but depending on the model the side cover might not. They made several models in those transitional years. The Standards, the Special and the Special II.
Leo

Fillers at off center are Special tanks. Center fillers are Standard tanks. They'll swap.
Sidecovers? '78 and '79 Specials are metal. Like Leo said, there's a bit of a transition going on.
Replace metal with metal, plastic with plastic as far as the sidecovers.

That tank looks to be from a 74-75 standard uses early type non vacuum petcocks. and that rear key cap. These tanks will bolt on and hold more gas IE they are wider and a bit taller than special tanks Side covers also look like units from a standard. they won't fit with the factory angled side special seats.

Thanks for the note Gary.

See you in April?

Again, you all are here right in the middle of our opening weekend so I won't be on any of the rides unless something goes on Sunday?

Hey
Stone Co RamblerTarmac & Terra Firma
Bringing the bike on a hitch rack any chance I could find a place to stow bike and rack for a few days like Sunday to thursday? 9th-13th?

Gary,

100%. I have a garage for just this purpose. You are welcome to stash at my place. I'm 6 miles west of the town square. J Lynne Road if you are google mapping. You could meet me on J Lynne and follow me down to my house.

Again, road is a "bit" rough town to my place, with a few small water crossings, but should not be an issue. Easy does it and you'll be fine.
I'm off Sun-Tues so we can meet up anytime then. Just let me know when you might be arriving and what time you want to come by.
Daren

Best way(s) to reach me:

bremoit@hotmail.com

house phone 870 269 5201

Back