TCI magnet

TGOOD

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Why would the tci magnet be in a different location on the new rotor than the old one ??

it's probably just easier for the manifacturer to move it 180 degrees.... sense both plugs fire at the same time every time with the TCI unit
either position will work fine ..... one cylinder fires on compression stroke and the other fires on it's exhaust stroke, called waste spark.
the cylinder with the waste spark is the next cylinder to fire and then the one that Just fired has the waste spark.....
quite ingenious actually and allows the ignition to have no moving parts !
Bob.......

Why I ask is , the screws backed out of old rotor and it ripped wires out of altanator. Ordered new one from Mike's and running like crap , like timing is off. Popping out of right side and not wanting to idle. Like timing is off. Lol

There were six 3.50x10 metric machine screws holding rotor to alternator on old one. New one epoxy or something in the six holes. I soldered old wires back from alt. to rotor. Which was like heart surgery. Put old one back on and bike runs fine. Got new machine screws and loctite.

TGOOD, Even Mikes couldn't make a mistake by setting the pick off by 180%, on he stater........the points are in the way

The pick up can only go i one place. Could there be a manufacturing fault on screw placement..........maybe............ I would explore other options first. Set it up and use a timing light.........XSJohn, (RIP), did a small mod on his TCI ignition by slotting the screw hole on the pickup...This was so he could advance or retard, (can't remember which), Wouldn't have to move that much at all to make a difference.

To reiterate, i would be exhausting all other avenues first or check the old Stator against the new one before installing

TGOOD, Even Mikes couldn't make a mistake by setting the pick off by 180%, on he stater........the points are in the way

The pick up can only go i one place. Could there be a manufacturing fault on screw placement..........maybe............ I would explore other options first. Set it up and use a timing light.........XSJohn, (RIP), did a small mod on his TCI ignition by slotting the screw hole on the pickup...This was so he could advance or retard, (can't remember which), Wouldn't have to move that much at all to make a difference.

To reiterate, i would be exhausting all other avenues first or check the old Stator against the new one before installing

The problem was the distance between the TCI magnet and the timing marks. Sure u could spin the rotor to the scree holes. But.. if I'm not mistaking, u can only flip rotor 180° like the smart guy said above . Lol. And u would have to extend the pickup wires. Really don't think it fus able. Might be wrong. New one didn't work , heart surgery on old and replace. Worked great. Just don't know how long it will last. Lol. I will take pic of them side by side next time I tear into it. Probably going to do it tomorrow just to show you all what I'm talking about.

Hay ! I'll be the first to admit I don't know everything ! Obviously !
but TCI means Transister controled Ignition..... NO POINTS..... and sense the TCI unit fires both plugs at the same time
I thought perhaps they put the pickup 180 degrees from the original setup..... seams logical to me ! and it should work just as good as before.....
Bob.....

Your posts make absolutely no sense..........The rotor goes on the crank shaft.........The Stater covers the rotor and is fixed with 2 screws. The TCI pickup screws onto the Stater............

One time your taking about the Rotor held on with screws, (one nut holds it to the crank),........Soldering rotor wires to the Stater, (2 parts one is stationary the other turns with the crank),.....................Then stating the pick up wires need to be extended if the rotor is moved 180%, (pick up is fixed in one position and cannot be shifted 180%)...........

Pics would be less confusing

I did misread your first post..........In that your saying the key-way is 180% off compared to the new one from mikesXS................Is that right

I will take pick in morning. Original has timing mark 4 or 5ish. TCI magnet at 1 o'clock. New rotor had timing mark at 4 or 5ish but TCI magnet was at 2 o'clock.

Terminology.
The rotor has the copper rings and has the magnet embedded in it for bikes with the TCI
The Stator covers over the rotor and is the aluminum housing which makes it all look like an alternator.
The pickup is the black plastic oval that is attached to the stator at around 1, 2 o'clock

Yes that is whats confusing............Your manual as all the names for the parts

If your magnet on the rotor is at 2'0 clock then it maybe in the wrong place.........The magnet is a part of the rotor it has no special name........the pick up is on the Stater, and this is what triggers the TCI............ nun of these parts can be flipped 180% like the smart guy says...........not the Rotor, Stater or pick up.

There were six 3.50x10 metric machine screws holding rotor to alternator on old one. New one epoxy or something in the six holes. I soldered old wires back from alt. to rotor. Which was like heart surgery. Put old one back on and bike runs fine. Got new machine screws and loctite.

OK, if I understand this. It sounds like somebody dug out the factory epoxy on this rotor and the screws backed out. That's a new one. Never heard of somebody doing that....lol. Anything is possible. On replacing rotors, most will send them out for a rewind. Best to keep a spare around if you want to ride while waiting. Sometimes they'll come up for sale, they should ohm out at 5 ohm +/-, and a good seller will show that in a pic.
Rotors from Mikesxs have had some issues from what I've seen in the past and now you're adding to it.

A pic or two may help here, the rotor has no screws???????????????????
Never seen a rotor with the magnet wrong, then again I never bought one from mikes............

Sorry to be a pain guys. I'm here to learn. Thanks for taking the time to get me straight. I will still take pic tomorrow and post here just so y'all can see it for ur self.
Thanks again.

Back