Thanks to all who put that great charging guide together!

aldo5468

Redleg
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Voltmeter recently started showing that my new battery wasn't charging fully and actually lost voltage slowly over 30-40 mile ride. The charging guide led me through a logical, step-by-step diagnosis that narrowed in on the rotor. It ohm'd out in the low-to-mid 2's on my digital multi-range meter on the 200 ohm scale. Installed new Racetech rotor tonight, started her up and all looks good - the voltmeter needle climbs toward 14 as it should. I didn't want to run it long enough in the garage to warm it up enough to buzz up to 3500 rpm and too late tonight for a test drive, so tomorrow will tell the tale. The charging guide was really helpful - I couldn't have found the issue myself without it, so thanks to all who wrote and illustrated it!
:bike:

:bike:Same here, had no charge and loosing volts fast with the key on. Without the guide the puzzle may have been imposable to solve. I was glad I had a rotor puller on hand and a parts bike.:bike: Back on the road sunday.
Many thanks to everyone:)

About 10 years ago I had a stock '81 XS650, bought a manual but really didn't know anything about it. It stopped dead on me about 50 miles from home on a charity ride - embarrassing, to say the least. Put in a new battery & it started up OK but wouldn't charge. Now I know that the TCI just stopped firing when the battery voltage got too low. After finding this forum and learning more about the whole electrical system, getting a voltmeter seemed like a good "early warning" thing to have.

Back