The adventures of the PO

Stoop22kid

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Please tell me my PO didn't try to weld the float??
c8c9ac38307560ea45b4135f403e498f.jpg

Looks like they've soldered it. Not an uncommon fix on those brass floats. I've done it in the past. If there's been a hole in it, pull it off and pop it in a container of petrol for an hour or so, then check if there's any fuel inside. Obviously, don't apply any heat till all the petrol has been dispersed :)

Another inspection method is to immerse the float in hot water and watch for bubbles as the air in the float warms and expands.

Yep; if the float won't float, fuel will overflow the vent. As Paul says, somebody who is skilled can repair a leaking float, but in my book that's strictly a temporary emergency repair (and BTW it doesn't appear that PO was very skilled; that's a pretty sloppy repair). If the brass is pinholed in one spot, chances are it's rotten enough that you can expect another hole to form in short order. I recommend replacement with OEM parts, which are readily available; price varies pretty wildly, so it pays to shop. Avoid repop floats; they're notorious for giving trouble.

Hi Stoop,
Although pinholes in brass floats can be fixed with a small dab of solder, that one's fix has been heavily overdone.
If that float was a sailboat it'd be well ballasted for heavy weather.
Time to spend the big bucks and replace them.

Brass floats are made of parts stamped out of sheet brass, then soldered together. This is done with the least amount of solder that can seal the two parts. That huge blob make that float way to heavy. It won't float very well. Then as grizld1 said it float bowl over flows and gas leaks out.
Leo

tour master makes good floats. make sure the part the pivot pin slides through is sleaved. A unsleaved one can on occasion bind on the seam, making the carb overflow, or not open the valve.
I tried to solder a hole in a float once......once.

nope. never again. i thought the gas had evaporated out. float sat for week. im glad i was holing the other side. big pop. no flame, POP!! like a firecracker

The sleeved pivot was a plastic float thing. I don't think you'll find any brass ones with it, even originals or original replacements. I don't know why this is, but it's just been my experience. The brass ones don't seem to suffer from the hanging problem even though they have no sleeve in the pivot.

Back