The oil pump does not work?

Gefest

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
the oil pump does not work? or oil will be high when the speed of the crankshaft when the engine is running?

what am I doing wrong?

I remember reading a thread where 2M measured the time it took the oil to get to the head after the engine had started............... 4 Seconds.

Taking into account the choke/enricher will be on, the engine will be running about 1500 rpm.

60 seconds in a minute

Divide 1500 by 60 = 25 revolutions per second

25 revolutions x 4 seconds = 100 revolutions before the oil reaches the head

kicking it 4 times ain't going to do much

Wow, Skull. I hadn't thought about it that way until you ground out those numbers.
Yes, it'll take quite a few turns to get the oil flowing.

Another way, is to look at the published oil volume, 1.3 liters/minute @ 1000 rpm.

OilPumpSpec.jpg

That equals 1.3cc per revolution.

First, it fills the right side filter chamber, then the hollow passage in the top front of the right side cover, then the main front gallery. From there, a lot of it will drain into the main roller bearings and the passages on the left side of the engine, down into the transmission.

Your 100 revolutions estimate would produce 130cc's, which sounds about right, to fill all that up.

If the engine isn't turning over fast enough, I can see that oil simply draining through all those orifices, and never reaching up to the front oilpipe's connection.

Gefest: Keep kicking more...

Last edited:
I remember reading a thread where 2M measured the time it took the oil to get to the head after the engine had started............... 4 Seconds.

Taking into account the choke/enricher will be on, the engine will be running about 1500 rpm.

60 seconds in a minute

Divide 1500 by 60 = 25 revolutions per second

25 revolutions x 4 seconds = 100 revolutions before the oil reaches the head

kicking it 4 times ain't going to do much

God bless you, man!
Thank you!:thumbsup:

Wow, Skull. I hadn't thought about it that way until you ground out those numbers.
Yes, it'll take quite a few turns to get the oil flowing.

Another way, is to look at the published oil volume, 1.3 liters/minute @ 1000 rpm.

View attachment 62897

That equals 1.3cc per revolution.

First, it fills the right side filter chamber, then the hollow passage in the top front of the right side cover, then the main front gallery. From there, a lot of it will drain into the main roller bearings and the passages on the left side of the engine, down into the transmission.

Your 100 revolutions estimate would produce 130cc's, which sounds about right, to fill all that up.

If the engine isn't turning over fast enough, I can see that oil simply draining through all those orifices, and never reaching up to the front oilpipe's connection.

Gefest: Keep kicking more...

OK, now all in their places, thanks guys!

If you have the electric starter installed, use jumper cables and a car battery to spin the engine over. It will be much easier than kicking.
Leo

Back