Thinking of buying this 1981...do you think it's a good deal?

Yep, nice platform to work with.
The US model 82's and '83's had a blacked out engine with the fins on the engine clean of paint. Ggggary has a nice pic of a stocker somewheres.......82 had blacked out fenders,,gauge buckets, fork lowers, headlight bucket, turn signals and ears? Looks like you may have a bitsa this and that. Wondering if the engine numbers match the frame.
I like the handlebar chokes on these Heritages as there are no pre sets....just slide where you need. Cam end covers should have the 650 logo on them...3 year manufacture if you include the Canadian '84 model. Multi spokes are a two year item and sought after by some.
Congrats! Suggest getting her running and running well before the cosmetic changes......

Nice score, Jay! Our 4th XS is also an 82 Heritage, also scored for $900 last spring. Runs pretty good, and almost 100% original, but needs some electrical problems sorted out. I'll get around to posting a pic of it one of these days.
Enjoy!

Nice score, Jay! Our 4th XS is also an 82 Heritage, also scored for $900 last spring. Runs pretty good, and almost 100% original, but needs some electrical problems sorted out. I'll get around to posting a pic of it one of these days.
Enjoy!

Thanks for your guidance during my search Machi, it was very helpful. Boy, wish I could GE my hands on one of those NM motorcycles! I'm pumped about my find though - should be fun. Here's the new thread if you're interested. Not ready to start a build quite yet....

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?p=348532#post348532

Back