this is the best bike forum i have found.

BiffTirkle

addict
Reaction score
i havent spent a whole lot of time searching forums on bikes and such, but my experience with looking for a sportster forum that mirrored this one was terrible.

here we have all sorts of diversity, from stock to totally chopped and modified. all members ranging in age race and gender, from all over the world.

i picked up a sportster last sept and the forums i found were alright, mostly boring or elitist (you had to have a hard tail or a heavily modified swingarm to gain admittance to the forum). once finished with my build i was able to gain admittance to quadcambastards.com only to find i had no desire to continue posting or browsing the forum. it wasnt very user friendly either.

thank you all for making this a tolerant and welcoming place for all xs650 builders and riders.

honestly, its still in my basement, i got to the point i needed to paint it and wrap up final assembly. with kitchen renovations, a 2nd child, and life it got put on the back burner. last spring i started to build a powder coating oven large enough for bike frames (and drying lumber). i wanted to powder coat the frame for the bike, but i think for now i'll just paint it and finish it. i'll need to go back down and make a list of what i need to do to complete and and a completion date. that would help. im sure i can do it in a month. its hard to work on bikes at the house. if its at a friends business. its a responsibility to get it out of there. i joked with my friend who owns a hot rod shop that id bring it over, just so i could finish it.

i also picked up a millermatic 211 welder and have since learned to weld! not a pro, but i trust myself well enough for minor structural welds.

in the mean time i turned my stock '79 into a cafe. which looks much better than it did stock (it wasnt stock enough to keep stock). i installed pampco's ignition on the bike, removed stock air boxes and installed k&n air filters. repaired the charging system, and bobbed the wiring.

and about a year ago i was given a '50 dodge coronet that was in amazing shape, so i wasted a bit of time on that before i decided i didnt want it. not my style. it went to another friend.

i also picked up a sportster and since that was at my friends shop, i HAD to finish that project, it started out with pipes but turned into a top end overhaul, and then a chop. so that took 9 months to finish almost all of it done during my work day and hour or two here and there at least 4 days a week.

as for the avatar, yes, it was pure sleaze. i think this one just makes me look like a dick, and not creep. the beard i had to grow to shave that mustache was amazing, i might do it again, winter is just around the corner!

too many projects!

I don't have a Sportster, but I do have a Harley. I have found bike-talk.com A good site. There isn't much noticable elitism. They even answer about the random metric guestions. They have some very experenced Sportster people. On guy runs Sporsters for Land Speed Records.
There are lots of people that talk about chrome and maps and sound systems but there are many that like to help.
A lot like here, most just like to help.
Leo

Back