Tire seating

nj1639

Paleo-simplistic
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Changing out the front spoked tire, I've inflated, deflated, over-inflated, bounced and beat on the bugger and still can not seat about a foot of the bead. Even used dish soap.
I've got her sitting near the woodstove now hoping for a seat. :wtf: Any tricks?

sometimes takes a while and or bouncing but they have always popped for me. Hand lotion?

I bought a cheapy [Duro] tire and fought it for over an hour to get it to seat. I'm guessing they made it just a little too small for the rim. To get it on, I had to over-inflate it and beat on the sidewall with a hammer. Never will I buy that brand again. I've changed many tires and never had one that bad before. What brand of tire are you struggling to seat?

I just finished mounting some Bridgestone Spitfire's and the front gave me the same sort of issue. Don't know if where you're trying to mount the tire is heated or not but I first started trying to mount it in a cold garage and that was not good at all. I then moved to the heated shop at work and it seems like that made a world of difference as the tire popped right up.... Also I should add that at first I was using 50/50 dish soap and water slurree and that got the back tire on just fine but for the front it absolutely was not working. Luckily for me there was some RUGlyde at work to use..... So a warm area, RUGlyde and a rather large compressor to fill it

PS- Good luck with mounting your tire

The tire is a Dunlop 404, I've mounted them before with no problems but this one gave me the fits. I deflated it again and pushed the bead down all around after marking the problem area. Then I took some of the wifes Bag Balm that she uses on her milk does and liberally applied to the offending area, HA!
Put the air to her again (the tire) and she slowly pushed out proper.

That's a good trick to know, thanks.

I have never had a problem seating Dunlop tires, it's getting them stretched on that is a bitch (stiff, stiff sidewalls).

I have used WD40 on tough tires. I don't like to because the WD40 ain't that good for the rubber, I wear them out long before the tires rot anyway. Generally 1 or 2 seasons.

RUGLYDE Tire Installation Lubricant gents. About 10 bucks for a jug big enough to last long enough for everything short of a tire shop. I get mine at NAPA but google it from anauto supply near you. Works Great! Blue

I bought a cheapy [Duro] tire and fought it for over an hour to get it to seat. I'm guessing they made it just a little too small for the rim. To get it on, I had to over-inflate it and beat on the sidewall with a hammer. Never will I buy that brand again. I've changed many tires and never had one that bad before. What brand of tire are you struggling to seat?

Had the same problem with a Duro on the front. Probably will buy more, since they are so damn cheap, but I'm a sucker for punishment sometimes.

Old trucker tire trick: Wrap a chain around the circumference of the tire and pull it tight with a binder. Then inflate.

The chain around the tire forces the sidewalls to expand.

A nylon strap and tie down ratchet would probably be a better choice than chain and binder.

But whatever you do: Do not use the either trick.

Went to the local dealer yesterday in search of tires. Asked the guy what he would charge to mount/balance tires that I bought vs buying tires from him.

He then went on to tell me that he's been getting alot of tires that people have been buying online that won't seat, or will after a long fight. He said these tires were comming from flooded areas down south (sitting in flooded warehouses). Of course I though the guy was just BSing me but maybe it's true.

In the end I will save about $10 buying them through him.

If your close to the MN Wisconsin boarder, just ride your bike to Dennis kirk and buy your tires there (price match for best price if needed) and they will mount and balance them for free. not sure if they have a disposal fee on the old tires.

+1 for starting with a warm tire. I use beer for a lube (being a little paranoid using something that might let the tire slip on the rim). Don't use good beer; that's for internal use only ;-).

i work for firestone here in denver and i seat ALOT of beads. fill that shit up till it goes! be sure to lube ;)

Put new Bridgestone Spitfires on my '80 mag rims this weekend. First time I ever replaced a motorcycle tire. The rear went on easier than the front. The front didn't seem to want to seat as well, but slowly inflating to about 42psi seemed to do the trick. There is that bead line around the tire, and initially, it was not visible along a one foot section of the rim. After inflating to above 40psi, it suddenly became visible, and was even around the entire rim. I would agree with everyone else though...make sure the tires are warm.

Everything I read, along with the plethora of YouTube videos said that when the bead seated, it would "pop". That never happened on either the front or rear tire. They both just slowly seated. I'm happy to report that both tires are holding air just fine. I used these tire irons: http://www.jakewilson.com/productDe...atId=38&keyword=tire+irons&prodFamilyId=12568

Tubeless tires are the only ones that I've had "pop". All my tube types have seated as you described. Glad it all went well for you.

Back