Tire seating

Dead Thread Resurrection: Clean rims help a lot, check the label for max seating pressure. I used Windex for lube and to take my spitfires all the way up over 40 pounds. Left them sit for a few days since I had the time, perfect seating. I think the labels said something like 53psi max for seating.

hi on my 1980 gs1000e,,, it has mags,,, and on the rear i put a 130Hx17 bridgestone battleaxe,,, went on like a dream,,,on the front i put a bridgestone 100/90V x19 but i didn,t clean the bead on the mag like i should have,,anyway after stuffing aroundand then taking the tyre off again ,,the bead was grubby,,, so this time i wire brushed itand then lightly wiped it with800 grit wet and dry ,,,lightly then wwiped it all over to clean them up put the tyre on again .... used some gunky clothes washing liquid and slopped it around the beading and a little on the tyre and bingo it popped all over the bead and its never gone down since ,,, i did them myself ,,,because the rip off bike shop in horsham,,,, the only mob there,,, wanted $100 bucks to fit my tyre when he had a chance,,,, so now i do them myself... regards oldbiker

I do my own plus lots for other guys. I have the HF tire changer and with a few tweaks, it works well. I also use the RuGLYDE .....

RuGLYDE.jpg

If you have to go over the max inflation pressure, usually 40 psi, then you need to clean the rim. Any dirt or corrosion will make the bead hard to seat. Using a good lube helps.
Leo

Old trucker tire trick: Wrap a chain around the circumference of the tire and pull it tight with a binder. Then inflate.

The chain around the tire forces the sidewalls to expand.

A nylon strap and tie down ratchet would probably be a better choice than chain and binder.

But whatever you do: Do not use the either trick.

I use a 4 foot bungee cord to wrap around smaller tires, motorcycle tie down ratchet:D straps work good on car and small tractor tires

Back