Tires

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
What would you guys run for tires on a 1980 S model that been chopped into a brastyle bike? Want good performance (especially in the wet) but also a good look to them.

Currently has Metzelers (I can't stand Metzelers)
F - 100/90v -19
R - 130/90vb - 16 can 110's be run on a mag wheel?

Good looks is a matter of opinion, I run shinko 240 dual pinner whitewall and I think it looks good. Any modern tread does not look good to me, but thats my opinion.

Forgot to mention running the stock swingarm so I can't imagine a 240 will fit. I hear the 240 shinko is a nice tire. Have friends running it. I run a 240 Avon cobra on my Raider.

Bridgestone Spitfire if you have the stock wheels. 10,000 mi+ on mine and still good. Not a racing tire but fair performance and good ride. Around $60 ea.

I run Firestone vintage replicas from Coker but only for several reasons, vintage looks and the tread pattern is the same front and rear. Im told they are a fair weather tire only.

You need tubes if the tires are tube type. Tubeless tires ok on mags but require tubes if run on spoke wheels. I have tubeless on my '79 with mags cause I dislike tubes and don't run them if I don't have to. Tubes are ok but will go flat immediately with a pucture and are more trouble to mount.

I run Firestone vintage replicas from Coker but only for several reasons, vintage looks and the tread pattern is the same front and rear. Im told they are a fair weather tire only.
hell nobody with any sense ran Firestones back in the nineteen sixtys when you could buy them new :laugh:

But they look so cool. I would probably run them but see above about tubes. Honestly, though, they wouldn't be on a daily rider.

Let me use this thread to dont start a new one, I just buy a XS650 78 and I am making a boober, what is the bigger rear tire that can I use without any problem the chain touching the tire? Will a 140 90 18 fit? or a 130 90 18? the stock size is 120 90 18, in the front the stock size is 100/90-19 can I try something like 110 100 19 or a 100 100 19? Thanks for any help...

jamesgs4, If you run the 240 shinko in back, what do you use up front? dual sport tire? Just wondering what would go up front with that tire? thanks rawxs

up front I run an avon speedmaster 3.25x19. it is a vintage design but a modern compound, handles fine, even in the occasional rainstorm. check my album to see better pics of the tires

Last edited:
I had the Bridgestone tire with that tread pattern on my VS1400 new. It does not like rain grooves on the highway ( just skipped over them on dry days ). I like the Shinko 240 Blackwalls myself, just not sure what to run up front to match. Thanks for the reply. rawxs

I love the look of the dual whitewall and speedmaster front.
RIP Johnny Chop.
update4.jpg

XS650 Bobber. On a stock swingarm if you use the 18 rear swheel a 120/90 will be close. A 130/80 may or may not fit. Some brands are wider than others for the same size.
On a 16 rear a 140/90 is as wide as you can squeeze in.

XS650 Bobber. On a stock swingarm if you use the 18 rear swheel a 120/90 will be close. A 130/80 may or may not fit. Some brands are wider than others for the same size.
On a 16 rear a 140/90 is as wide as you can squeeze in.

Thanks Leo, I just buy a pair of shinko 120 90 and 100 90 tires...

Back