Turn signals keep making a weird buzzing noise under gas tank

zurek4

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The turn signals keep sticking and sometimes dim down. Any suggestions could it be the relay. The noise is coming out of a little black box. I have an xs650 81 special 2.

Hi zurek,
my little black box didn't buzz, it plain quit working. And when I was far from home, too.
What I did after leaving the Calgary Yamaha dealer staggering from sticker shock at the $87 cost for a new one was pry it apart and clean the points.
That was 12 years ago. It's been working fine since then.
Had it not been fixable I'd have paid Canadian Tire $8 for an electronic automotive flasher and learned how to turn the signals off myself.
[edit] The stock flasher is load sensitive and clicks quicker when it's trying to flash a heavier than normal load.
Perhaps the buzzing is the stock flasher trying to keep up with a short circuit?

How many wires are coming out of that little black box? What color are they? This will help yuy determine just what that little black box is.
If it has three wires, one each of brown, brown/white and green/yellow it's the turn signal flasher. If it is then it's probably bad. Just replace it with most any two prong flasher from the parts store. Just plug the two prongs into the brown and brown/white wires in the socket.
If it has five wires, one each of red/yellow, brown, black, green/white, green/yellow, it's the turn signal canceler, If so, it's bad, just remove it.
Either of these options will disable the self canceler. You will need to turn the signals off your self.
Leo

Back