TX or XS

I'm looking forward to restoring this bike. I like the look of the drum brake up front but never actually ridden one with it. Are they any good?
Most drums of the day were good for slowing your eventual arrival at the accident site in a panic stop. :rolleyes:
For normal driving they were fine... but for a little more effort required than a hydraulic disc.
Nice score!!

20201207_125212.jpg

Its finally arrived. Shipping frim Japan took longer then expected but im not complaining considering the current environment.

I haven't had much of a chance to get a look through it but looks tidy enough. Although it was a runner at the auction house I haven't fired it up yet. Turns over nicely, starter motor engages well.

Oil filters and oil looked good. I cleaned out the filters and replaced.

I put a little petrol in the tank and there was a leak at one of the petcocks and had gas leak out of a carb. Will rebuild those first. And go from there.

It has two aftermarket 18 inch rims front and back. Which is unusual I thought. I would have expected 19 inch up front. I might see what the 18 up front feels like before I consider going back to 19. I will replace front drum for a disc brake setup.

Not sure if I should go electronic ignition or keep the points. But that's down the line a bit.

I quite like the current handle bars, comfortable but I do have a set of Euro bars that'll likely go on.

I wasn't too fond of the paint colour from the pictures but in real life it's growing on me, I am considering changing it. But I dont want this to be a full on restoration, just a tidy up for a nice reliable weekend ride.

Cheers.

20201207_171006.jpg

This is what I found when i pulled the side covers off and carbs out. Pod filters, no air boxes. BS34s, however separate fuel entries to either side of carbs and not linked. No sure of these are original to bike or not?

I'll clean them up, get some better filters or maybe try and find some air boxes and put them back on, if they work alright then job done.

not linked. No sure of these are original to bike or not?
77? That's my guess to your model year.
Japanese ? IDK about the carbs for sure but I believe linked BS38'S were likely the originals.
20200926_153153.jpg

That 18" matching rim set is pretty cool ! Dunlop K81 tt100's its looks like? 4.10-18 maybe.. its kinda a Norton wheel thing. Maybe that should stay on there?
:shrug:
Nice bike for sure -R

Never seen BS34's quite like that. XS400 ones did have that bolt-on fuel inlet but only on the left carb. The right carb was fed fuel via a crossover hose between the carbs. The float bowl drain bolt (as opposed to side mounted drain screw) was a 1980 only 650 BS34 thing here in the States.

If they clean up OK and work right, I'd keep them. The BS34 is a nice carb. If you're going to stick with pods, get UNI foam ones.

View attachment 180113

This is what I found when i pulled the side covers off and carbs out. Pod filters, no air boxes. BS34s, however separate fuel entries to either side of carbs and not linked. No sure of these are original to bike or not?

I'll clean them up, get some better filters or maybe try and find some air boxes and put them back on, if they work alright then job done.

EDIT.........Japanese 79 Specials came out with BS34's, not 38's

Japanese 79 Specials, (BS34's), have the fuel lines going to the outside the same as seen on your carbs. Can't see on any pics i have that show the Japanese BS34's are the same but routing and access to the fuel lines is way easier the way yours are set Up.

Edit added link that shows the BS34's with the fuel outlets on the outside of the carbs
http://www.xs650.com/threads/neutral-as-ignition-cut-off.53365/page-2

Bike looks good...........What area are you from Muks, X, Hard core Taranaki guy here.

Last edited:
I like the paint job, it looks like something that maybe was unique to the Japanese home market maybe? But it looks to be in good shape and you’ll never see another one. I also like the drum front brake, it gives the bike more of a retro vibe, those drum set ups are pretty valuable, but if higher performance brakes are more of a priority to you that is quite understandable. I also wonder if someone didn’t put that smaller front wheel on there in an attempt to sharpen up the handling a little?
Anyways, great looking bike. It’s a one of a kind, I hope you enjoy it.

I like that drum up front. I think the XS front drum is a nice looking unit. If it functions properly id be tempted to leave it.

The drum does function fine, but I have yet to ride it and properly test it compared to a disc brake setup. I've never actually ridden a motorcycle with a drum up front so not sure what to expect to be honest. I like it and would like to keep it, but I'm a bit apprehensive I suppose, I like a bit of stopping power just in case.

77? That's my guess to your model year.
Japanese ? IDK about the carbs for sure but I believe linked BS38'S were likely the originals.
View attachment 180114
That 18" matching rim set is pretty cool ! Dunlop K81 tt100's its looks like? 4.10-18 maybe.. its kinda a Norton wheel thing. Maybe that should stay on there?
:shrug:
Nice bike for sure -R

Hi Machine, its a Japanese Domestic Model 1978 TX650. And you are correct with the tires TT100s.

Never seen BS34's quite like that. XS400 ones did have that bolt-on fuel inlet but only on the left carb. The right carb was fed fuel via a crossover hose between the carbs. The float bowl drain bolt (as opposed to side mounted drain screw) was a 1980 only 650 BS34 thing here in the States.

If they clean up OK and work right, I'd keep them. The BS34 is a nice carb. If you're going to stick with pods, get UNI foam ones.

Hi 5twins, you read my mind. I plan to keep it as simple as possible, refurbish the carbs and get either some UNI foam pods or air boxes if I can easily locate them.

Japanese 78/79 Specials, (BS38's), have the fuel lines going to the outside the same as seen on your carbs. Can't see on any pics i have that show the Japanese BS34's are the same but routing and access to the fuel lines is way easier the way yours are set Up.

Bike looks good...........What area are you from Muks, X, Hard core Taranaki guy here.

Hi 650Skull,

Bay of Plenty. I know you are in Aus at the moment but you might have heard of the Taranaki Hard docu-series on TV at the moment. Waitara on TV!

I like the paint job, it looks like something that maybe was unique to the Japanese home market maybe? But it looks to be in good shape and you’ll never see another one. I also like the drum front brake, it gives the bike more of a retro vibe, those drum set ups are pretty valuable, but if higher performance brakes are more of a priority to you that is quite understandable. I also wonder if someone didn’t put that smaller front wheel on there in an attempt to sharpen up the handling a little?
Anyways, great looking bike. It’s a one of a kind, I hope you enjoy it.

I think I am going to keep the paint job purely because it is so unique! I've never seen another one like it. There are definitely prettier XS650 colour schemes out there; my favourite being the 1978 Spruce Green Metallic, but this has a certain charm. It looks better in the flesh too.

Hi 650Skull,

Bay of Plenty. I know you are in Aus at the moment but you might have heard of the Taranaki Hard docu-series on TV at the moment. Waitara on TV!

No i haddent, found some info and just read up on it..........Same for a lot of small towns in NZ, just seem to stagnate but Waitara, has always had that problem. Worked on the Methanol plant up the Waitara Valley back in the 80's.........

If those are some version of a Japanese Domestic market 650 carb, it will be interesting to see how they're jetted and what needle/needle jet combo is used. Also, the style of mix screw used. In the U.S. we got an E.P.A. mandated stepped mix screw .....

FkIevlH.jpg

..... but I've seen another out there with just a tapered tip, possibly a non-E.P.A. version .....

k9LwMdG.jpg

Muks, Here is some information on Japanese bikes....... .some information my be pertinent for your bike, like the front forks and definatly the Carbs with the fuel lines attached to the outside of the carb body in the third link

Post #238
http://www.xs650.com/threads/id-your-model.42/page-12

Post #87, #88, #99
http://www.xs650.com/threads/how-to-rebuild-xs650-forks-install-lowering-kit.5537/page-5

Page 2

Changed my post
EDIT.........Japanese 79 Specials came out with BS34's, not 38's
Japanese 79 Specials, (BS34's), have the fuel lines going to the outside the same as seen on your carbs. Can't see on any pics i have that show the Japanese BS34's are the same but routing and access to the fuel lines is way easier the way yours are set Up.
Edit added link that shows the BS34's with the fuel outlets on the outside of the carbs

If those are some version of a Japanese Domestic market 650 carb, it will be interesting to see how they're jetted and what needle/needle jet combo is used. Also, the style of mix screw used. In the U.S. we got an E.P.A. mandated stepped mix screw .....

FkIevlH.jpg

..... but I've seen another out there with just a tapered tip, possibly a non-E.P.A. version .....

k9LwMdG.jpg

5T, my 83 Canadian and 80SG Aussie bike, has adjustable needles and the Pilot screw is the same as the US models, also the part no for the Japanese BS34 Pilot screw is different to the no of the oddity above............. In the third link, (above), he talks about the jets being lean. Was the same on both my 83 and 80 bikes. I think that is because the adjustable needle was set more rich than the US mandated EPA ones

Muks, Check the jets but take note they will be different to the US and any Charts that relate to the US because the needles are adjustable and the US didn't get those.
From the japanese TX 4E3 standard model with BS34's........Shows the Adjustable Jet needle and jet sizes and the pilot screw, (not on any other parts manual). Used several different references to convert the parts from Japanese to English. part #'s were there
4E3-3W6-3U6 TEXT.jpg

Last edited:
That 48-5011 and (crossed out) 12 are aftermarket part numbers. The BS34 mix screw was never listed on the U.S. parts diagrams but I have managed to track it down because it is used and listed for some other Yamaha models .....

AbOWaij.jpg

I haven't run across hardly any other parts listings except the U.S. model ones. It sure would be nice to find some European and/or Canadian listings, especially concerning the carb parts.

I was pointing out the possible non EPA version isn't for our non EPA BS34's

Doing the Cross reference, (partzilla), no 3L1 14923-00, 2 pilot screws come up with different part #'s that have been superseded............One is yours and the other looks to be a bit shorter with the same looking profile tip.

Yamaha 4G0-14923-00-00 -Superseded-12R-14105-00-00 - PILOT SCREW SET.png Yamaha 4NK-14923-00-00 - Superseded-3KW-14105-00-00 - PILOT SCREW SET.png

from the japanese TX650 (4E3) Parts manual. Took me hours to cross reference, Different Parts manuals, Biker.net and Partzilla to translate Japanese into English and making sure the part no's were the same.

TX650 (4E3) Parts manual
TX650 (4E3) Parts manual  030.jpg TX650 (4E3) Parts manual  031.jpg

Back