It appears to be a 72 with some owner mods.

This link shows the models as sold in Australia.

http://www.xs650.org.au/Buyers%20Guide.htm
Thanks very much! That site is a great help.
I'm looking to buy an xs650 in a few months as my first motorcycle and I think I want an XS2. How do the XS2's run? Bear in mind I'm new to all of this but really keen to learn any info I can.

that one looks like it has some petcock leaks, fuel staining. Other than a one year only weird front disk a 72 is just fine I like the early tank and side covers they scream old school.

Hi all,

I'm trying to ID my bike, the engine has serial# 447-720XXX (77' XS650D), but the sticker on the frame has a VIN# 2F0-171XXX (may oprions, 78', 79' oy..), which doesn't appear to match. Can I safely say I have a 77' XS650D? Getting a new carb rebuild kit and want to make sure I'm not f-ing stuff up when ordering. :yikes:

Thanks guys

MAndrade1980 No for carb parts you need to ID the exact carbs you have, especially on a "mongrel" bike. The carbs are different from 77 to 78 And even then a lot of the carb kits have the wrong jets in them. Read the carb guide in tech for some ID pics. Generally a carb rebuild kit is a poor bargain containing parts you don't need and not having parts you will need. And a lot of times the aftermarket jets are not what the numbers might lead you to believe they are. Post up pics of the carbs and the gang will ID them for you.

xjwmx, I just looked at your link. That's a link to giutar numbers, not bike numbers.
MAdrade1980, your engine is a 77D, your frame is a 79 F or SF. For 79 there are a lot confusion. They didn't use a different series of numbers for the F and SF models as they did other years.
As far as the DMV goes your bike is a 79 F or SF. Look on the title. Any engine73 up can fit in any 73 up frame, that doesn't change the year of the bike.
I found this to help determine the carb years. www.xs650.fi/pohja_files/fi/XS650carbs.htm
It was translated from Dutch to German, then to english. Some of the words didn't translate but even with that it is very good.
Leo

Thanks all. I know for sure they are BS38's, later model. I really just wanted to confirm I wasn't screwing things up seeing what year the engine was, in case I needed to do any modifications to the jetting. I'm just replacing the float boal gaskets as they ripped, and going to verify the idle screws are set right. Go it running but it sounded like a bomb, ran at very high RPM's, fire coming out of the pipes, would stall if I wasn't pulling on the throttle. Scared the be-Jesus out of my 3-year old and he was on the other side of my yard, lol. I made his toys sad. Bad me. You guys are all awesome, hope I can get it to run normal!

quicky question .
Which models came fitted with the high (ape hanger) bars ?
As far as I can make out it was the E,F, SE, SF,2F, G, and E special ll models were there any others ?

I've been trying to find a supplier in the UK that stocks the longer throttle cable for the high bar US models. Already been supplied one wrong throttle cable.

The problem is suppliers in the UK don't seem to know anything about parts for the US special models . They think all US special models are SE !and I don't have a part number.

Well I've ordered a cable from Germany now ...Thanks for your help

Last edited:
All the Specials came with the high bars. To find the stock cables part number, look in most any parts sellers parts fiches. I use boats.net
Look in any of the Specials listings. and you will find a part number.
Leo

Some years can get confusing. Mostly 79 In other years they used one number series for each model, in 79 they used one number series for all models.
For the DMV use the frame number. For most parts the frame number will work fine Most of the engine parts you can use the frame number. There were some differences in the engines, they started with the 256 engines then with some major changes came up with the 447 engine. In Europe the had the 533 engine too. So a bit of research will help on that.
Your 2FO-006569 indicates it's a 78 E frame, the 3GO-007371 indicates an 80 G engine. The main difference between the 78 and 80 was the points ignition on the 78 and the TCI on the 80. It's easy to convert the 80 engine to points. Just add the advancer parts in the cam.
If you look under the two large round chrome covers on each side of the head you will easily see if it has points and advancer.
Leo

FN great thread; glad I subscribed for days like this.

Just ran across a 1987 XS650 that was started and the owner lost interest.

Well, in I come.

He says the title say 1980 after I questioned the year, so I asked him to send me the numbers off the neck:

2FO-218700.

I am trying to determine from the chart below if it ia 78-79 XS-SE Special, or
a 79-81 XS-SG Special. I guess it does not matter.

I am going to look at it today.

ID Chart from first post first page
full

full

On that list you will find it is an 80SG. The 79-80 in the list is the years the built them for 80.
At the top of that list under Year it says Aug - Jul, That's the build year, As in Aug of 79 to Jul of 80.
Other thing to check are the ignition and carbs, if stock it should have the TCI if an 80. 79 and earlier had points.
80 up used the BS34 carbs, chrome steel top cover. The 79 and earlier had the BS38 carbs, cast alloy top cover.
Leo

Thanks LEO!!!! I saw the carbs and think they were chrome. I knew the info on the TCI, but forgot what to look for.

It did have mag wheels and disc brakes lol

80 was the last year of the disc brake mags, in 81 they used a 1 year only drum brake mag. In 82 they went to the 48 spoke rear with drum and the 64 spoke front.
Leo

Good to know! I need to start researching again as I have forgot alot of the info. Looking to run 18"(or whatever the bigger size is, lol) mags front and rear hopefully.

Thanks again for all of your help!!!!!

Check out my soon to be build thread.

There should be the 3G5 000xxx stamped on the front, right above the oil feed tube base on the case. If it doesn't, it's kinda weird.

Just for the record for anyone else with an XS650 from this series, none of the Japanese 3G5 engines were numbered. Seems the Japs didn't have much use for engine numbers around this time, so Yamaha didn't waste time and money giving them any. Most Japanese market Yamahas of all model types were given similarly unnumbered engines. The only number on the engine will be the type number (447 in this case).

A significant number of used Japanese XS650s were exported by the container load in the late eighties. They ended up in Europe (I have one), the US and apparently Australia and NZ too. So if you have a 3G5 machine with a 447 engine number, it doesn't mean the engine's been changed - it means it's original.

3G5 000xxx machines were classed by Yamaha as a 1979 model and were available in 'Vintage Burgundy' or 'New Midnight Blue' - I think both these colours were unique to the Japanese market. 3G5 000xxx machines also had an odd, hybrid electric setup with separate regulator and rectifier but with CDI ignition. Never seen a wiring diagram that shows this combination.

Hope this helps any current owners.

Back