ID Chart from first post first page
full

full

yes thats a very good point about registration dates often being the year following manufacture but that doesn't change the actual manufacture date which is now confirmed as 1978 so at least we know that the Special ll model was manufactured as early as Nov 78.

I have the original Ohio registration stickers on the rear fender but it would be a shame to try remove the top 3x labels to get to the first registration date.
Just glad to have an original bike and know exactly when it was made and which model it is .
Thanks for all your help with this much appreciated:thumbsup:

ID Chart from first post first page

yes 650skull that is the chart that I have copy pasted the details from about my bike but the point I was making is that there are other charts from other sources that state that bikes with a 2F0 250*** number were only manufactured from 79 onwards.!:wink2:

It would seem that there is still some confusion about the exact manufacturing date ranges of the 2F0-250*** series of bikes . My frame label has at least confirmed for certain that the 2F0-250*** Special ll series of bikes were manufactured from late 1978 and the other ID charts are incorrect .

sorry mate I must be missunderstanding something here.

So the dates in the XS650 charts refer to the registration date range and not the actual year of manufacture is that right ? :confused:

the "year" on the chart in any one year, (except 69-70), is from August one year to July the next year. The model/year for sale purposes is the later year, January to July.

Example; A bike made on the 20th of July 1976 is a 76C...........A bike made on the 20th of August 1976 is a 77D.

Clear as mud

Indeed it is, lol. All you have to remember is bikes are manufactured just like cars. They start making next year's models in the late summer or early fall of the previous year. So, that means the manufacture date stamped on your neck isn't necessarily the model year. Bikes made in the fall of one year are most likely the next year's model.

Ok so I have been reason through here, the vin on the next of my bike isn't readable from being sanded and Painted so many times. But I was able to get the number off my motor. My question is it's 9 digits long. Is that the full vin?

Yes, kind of, tell us the year and most of the engine number and we can give you a better idea of the VIN. On older bikes, 80 down? the vin is non conforming which tends to drive DMV wild. In general the engine number doesn't matter, it's the frame after 1969. So Depending on who you get you may be in DMV hell.

Chart calls that a 79 special. and for those years that's all there is to the VIN number.
I'd print the chart and bring it along to DMV. It might help, can't hurt. If you get a "that can't be right" response ask for a supervisor, the young un's might never have seen a pre 17 digit VIN.

:(Hi Guys
Please could you look at the two images of both the Frame and Engine numbers of my XS1B650. Could any owner of a XS1B650 bike please put my mind at rest, The Engine number seems to go off on a slant, Has anyone else had similar experience or do you think that this engine has been re: stamped (Badly)
Your comments would be greatly received. (UK)

Attachments

• DSC04636.jpg
    DSC04636.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 244
  • DSC04638.jpg
    DSC04638.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 238
Thank You gggGary for your swift reply. The information that you have given has put my mind at rest and should help with my date related registration on my new project.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm new to this forum and new to this motorcycle and could use some help identifying my particular bike. The frame has ID # S650 - 211602 and the engine has ID# 2FO 000335. Based on what I've read on this site, the year is 1968? Any help will be much appreciated.

Hi,
Can anyone tell me exactly what model this bike is?
I'm thinking about getting a 650 and this one looks awesome.
Is the paint on the tank and forks stock?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 174
No that's completely normal the engine numbers were hand stamped when they were mated to a stamped frame.

Check this thread for pics of engine stampings of nearly every year.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27680
Hi gggGary. Just thought you might be interested to know that I spoke to Yamaha UK today , I applied for an age related letter from them in order to get my bike registered in the UK, I had to send them my Engine and Frame pics along with Left and Right hand side pics of bike. They don't take the same view on the sloping letters on the Engine numbers. They wont commit to agreeing that its genuine because of the slant, Nor disagree?, although they agree that hand stamping was the process and that they often see misaligned numbers on old bikes. Interestingly as well they stated that the bike is a XS1650 not an XS1B650 as per the chart states. They stated that the bike was Japanese (No shit) when I stated that they were all surely Japanese, she said that she read into the computer statement that the machine was intended for the Japanese market not the American, So the plot thicken's.

Back