the frame number is definitely 2F0-****** theres no evidence it has been restamped.
I suppose some parts could have been changed like the wheels, tank,seat etc either in the US or here in the UK after import.

What other parts of the bike could I check ? It has a seperate reg and rectifier maybe the wiring loom could help date the bike ?

As in put the kbosch on it?

from a post by inxs

- candy green XS1 ........ # S650-000101-S650-006686.....6586 bikes

- gold XS1B and XS1F ... # S650-007101-S650-025383.....18283 bikes

hey guys. just quick favor. got this vin# 447-860727. which one will it be. oh and its a black without any symbols on the bike.

Picking up an XS650 project next weekend and wanted to try and clarify the year. The guy said it's an '82 but according to the info on this post I think it may be an '83 Heritage. He doesn't have a title so no way to confirm on that end.

VIN is JYA5V4008DA107XXX

Leo tnx, but for some reason the one that i have doesnt really look alike with the other 78 xs650e. thats how it looked when i got it. is it a 78 xs650e? and i am not saying that you are wrong, im just unsure to what year it really is :(
picture.php

oh and it did had black covers on it (no emblems whatsoever)

Last edited:
Looks like a 79 SPII

79spii 001.JPG

Nearly all the bits I can see match that model.
The side covers should show an odd angled gap from that seat which will pretty well nail it as a 79 special II, the wheels are one year only from that model.

I rechecked my chart. Ok, the 477-850101 up numbers are European 78 bikes, the 477-855101 up are US 79's. So I'll have to recant the 78 and agree with gggGary and call it a 79 Special.
They got kinda goofy with the 79 numbers. They did three models in 79 and the numbers are confusing. Some charts say a number is a 78 others say it's a 79. Some say a number is a standard, other say it's a Special. Or Special II, very confusing.
Your tank looks repainted, the sidecover probably where done too, this eliminated the badging. Your seat has been recovered.
Leo

Looks like a 79 SPII

View attachment 30480

Nearly all the bits I can see match that model.
The side covers should show an odd angled gap from that seat which will pretty well nail it as a 79 special II, the wheels are one year only from that model.

Gary what do you mean 'the wheels are one year only '?

Did all the other years SPll have mag wheels ?

My SPll import has wire wheels and it is registered in the IUK as a 79 model but the Vin number suggests it could be a 78 SPll ? 2F0-251555

AFAIK the 79 is the first of three years (79-81) for the Special II, it was produced and sold as a "low cost" model. All years were spoke wheels but ONLY the 79 model had spokes with alloy rims, 19 front 16 rear, the rims are WM pattern not the H pattern found on the standards. The 80 and 81 models used 19 front 16 rear chrome plated steel rims with spokes.

AFAIK the 79 is the first of three years (79-81) for the Special II, it was produced and sold as a "low cost" model. .

and there was me thinking I had something a little bit 'special' ho ho :laugh:

Cheers Gary. I suspect that someone has pinched me alloy rimmed wheels somewhere in the past 30+ years as they certainly look like steel rims to me. I might go out there in the dark with a file in a minute and file the rims :D

I rechecked my chart. Ok, the 477-850101 up numbers are European 78 bikes, the 477-855101 up are US 79's. So I'll have to recant the 78 and agree with gggGary and call it a 79 Special.
They got kinda goofy with the 79 numbers. They did three models in 79 and the numbers are confusing. Some charts say a number is a 78 others say it's a 79. Some say a number is a standard, other say it's a Special. Or Special II, very confusing.
Your tank looks repainted, the sidecover probably where done too, this eliminated the badging. Your seat has been recovered.
Leo

Thank you so much :bike: means i can finally get new tires :)

oh and another thing guys, why do i have this
picture.php

have no idea where it could come off from. any ideas?

Might be a stupid question, but what the hell, eh?

What does the code indicate? By the VIN (447-901XXX) it's a 77-78 XS650SE (what'd'ya know, the papers are right!), but what doe the code 2M1 mean?

Thanks.

To get tires, you read the size of the tires on the bike, then order accordingly. The model has little to do with it.
It looks to be period correct sissy bar with a set of Honda wings atop a Harley shield with Yamaha printed on it.
A lot of after market items from that time copied more popular bikes.
Harley and Honda were more popular than Yamaha.
Leo

AFAIK the 79 is the first of three years (79-81) for the Special II, it was produced and sold as a "low cost" model. All years were spoke wheels but ONLY the 79 model had spokes with alloy rims, 19 front 16 rear, the rims are WM pattern not the H pattern found on the standards. The 80 and 81 models used 19 front 16 rear chrome plated steel rims with spokes.

Gary I thought that I ought to add my recent findings to the record for the Special ll bikes.

It appears that my bike is actually a 78 manufactured Special ll 2F0 25155*
I stripped the headlight to replace it and on checking the head tube label it seems the bike was registered in Nov 1978 . so presumably that makes it a
XS-E SPECIAL II 77-78 3N0 2F0- 250101 not 79 model after all.

Hope this helps any other owners looking to confirm the MFD age of their bike.
Check the head tube label for a date.!

Attachments

• xs650 MFD date Vin label head tube.JPG
    xs650 MFD date Vin label head tube.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
ah, um, well.........
11/78 is consistent with it being sold as a 79. The typical production cut off date is about July of the year before, ie anything made august of 1978 or later was sold as a 1979 model.
Tooling, set up transportation overseas, dealer set up training, parts supply etc. Means about a 6 month lead time on model years.

Back