On the chart I use The model is listed down the left side, the next column is the year built, the next is the series code, last is the frame/engine numbers. Start in the right side list of numbers, scroll down to find your number. It won't list your exact number but gives number that starts the range of numbers.
Number 447-100101 was the first number used for the build year listed in the second column.
The next year is 447-200101. Does your number fit between these two? If so then your build date is August 74 to July 75. This makes your bike an XS650 B This was the 75 model year.
Leo

On the chart I use The model is listed down the left side, the next column is the year built, the next is the series code, last is the frame/engine numbers. Start in the right side list of numbers, scroll down to find your number. It won't list your exact number but gives number that starts the range of numbers.
Number 447-100101 was the first number used for the build year listed in the second column.
The next year is 447-200101. Does your number fit between these two? If so then your build date is August 74 to July 75. This makes your bike an XS650 B This was the 75 model year.
Leo

thanks, that's how I thought it worked, wanted to make sure.

Hi there

I am brand new to the site and this is my first rebuild of a street bike. I have rebuilt numerous dirtbikes, recently a 77 Yamaha YZ125 and a 82 IT 465 and I recently picked up a pretty rough XS650.

I was hoping you all could help me with determining the year of the bike. I think it is a 1977 but I need to confirm before I start ordering parts. I would like to make it in to a street tracker with more modern parts. The VIN is 447-704588. Ideas?

Thanks..

Hermy (Alberta, Canada)

Welcome.

77D. Check out Here. Has online manual and lots of links and model id pics/brochures and an updated ID chart.

Yea and unless you post pics no one believes your bike exists:)

I NEED HELP!!! I just picked up a "winter project" @ a "steal" of a price BUT....it came with NO paperwork & the guy I got it from knew absolutely nothing about it he picked it up from another guy & who knows how many people before that??? So I have been doing some researching online & think it may be an XS500??? I'm running into the "9 digit vin problem"....my SD card is damaged on my phone cause I was going to open up the link someone posted of the 'mikesxs' link to try & look it up but my phone won't open or load it because of the damaged SD card....anyway the vin is: 1J3-005665 any and all help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! I'm new here and THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!!!

well if you think it is an XS500 you'll probably get more help on a dedicated XS500 forums like this one .:wink2:
http://www.xs500forum.com/

Look around your bike for some clues and compare it with the thousands of images on this site and others.

If you look at the front of the engine you'll see the engine capacity stamped on the bottom of jugs ie 653cc

Look at the label and the stamp on the head tube it will give you all the information you need

Have been comparing photos that's where I came to the conclusion that it may be an XS500 but the bike has been hardtailed, custom wire wheels, forward controls, solo seat, bars etc...so trying to make an exact match was difficult but looking at the motor & a few other things is where I decided the XS500 was the closest thing??? Thanks for the lead on the forum though brotha...

ah I see....that makes ID a lot harder :(

Saying that I would be surprised if the previous owner had ground off the frame stamp on the head tube even if the adhesive backed label was missing .
See if you can find them and post them here we'll see if we can help further.

Okay, Have a 'odd' one for you.
I joined this forum after being at a loss for what exact model bike I just purchased.
I just rolled this out of a garage where it was sitting for 20+ years. Bike is a 1980 XS650 with 1,050 miles on it. Amazing condition, not a speck of rust on it. Quite astonishing actually. Title was 'lost'

I was told it was a 1980 Special. Actually told it had an August 80 build date.

Decals - all say 650 Special
VIN - starts with 4M4 on the motor and on the frame (Special)

Here is where it gets 'odd'
Color - Dark Silver (though thought this was a 81 color??)
Motor is factory painted black/polished fins (same as the Special II)
Has the Cast Aluminum wheels
Has rear DRUM brake (same as Special II)??????
Has the yellow factory chain lock (Special)

So, how would a bike that has not been touched in 20years have Special VIN on a frame and motor that looks more like a Special II. Did i get some strange bike that was pieced together at the factory? Doesn't make sense that someone would 'rebuild' a Special frame after a crash with a parts from a Special II or vice versa replace the frame on a Special II with the frame from a Special (new vin) Anyway. PLEASE Help. I need to register/insure/retitle this and have no idea what model to write :doh:

may be answering my own question here.... just someone let me know if this sounds right.

I have a 8/80 manufacture date, but the bike was built out with 1981 specs at the factory. Like buying a 'next years model' a few months early???

4M4 matching VIN on frame and motor
Cast aluminum wheels with rear drum (research shows 81 specials did have this)
Silver Paint

It was that build date and the rear drum that was throwing me off here.

They start early so they can get the new bikes on the floor early. This happens with cars and trucks and anything that rolls and goes. If they waited till January to start making them, none would be on the floor before May. The sales year would be half over by then.
Leo

A tell is the seat. 81 is the first year they had the stupid step in the seat

Attachments

• seguss.jpg
    seguss.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 235
welcome Walden .

Its really important that you post a picture of your bike so that we can use it as a source for ID ing the originality of our bikes

Have you looked behind the headlamp bowl yet ? there should be a vynal ID label attached and the manufacturing date and serial No should be stamped into the head tube of the frame.

What you have posted is important in helping us understand the various oddities between the various models particularly in the 78,79 and 80 models .

Its looking more and more likely that the factory used whatever parts were available at times but I suspect that various Yamaha dealerships also swopped parts around their stock in order to shift older stock or sell bikes to picky customers

There should be no confusion here. Next year production begins in the late summer or early fall of the previous year, simple as that. It's an '81 model, probably one of the first produced. The drum braked rear mag is the big "tell". '81 was the only year to have that. If it had a disc rear mag, it would be an '80, probably one of the last produced.

US models are highlighted in Yellow. Your Vin no should be a low no above 4M4-000101

full

Vin no's are very important, a pic will help to confirm if the bike was/has had parts swapped from other models. 81 Special II had spoke wheels and a chrome bar grab rail and decals on the side-covers not badges. pics of all models are in a previous link i posted in post 264

Hey, Thank you guys for the info. It is really great to get on a site that has active knowledgeable people. I've always been really into my vehicles, and preserving/enhancing older bikes/cars to keep them on the road as long as possible. Something special in keeping them alive. This one with 1,050 miles on its is a tough call. I wish i could cut and grind but i will most likely replace seat (has the silly step up style), bars, fenders....typical things, but keep them all stock as they are pristine and I can put back together if need be.

I will get a few photos up here in next couple days (snowing and 26F at the moment in CT)
Yes, 81 model year built in August 1980 sn shows 4M4-000xxx so one of the first thousand built of this year, kind of fun. Photos might be nice to keep on record as its 100% stock, orig tires and all. Almost like a time capsule as the tires are actually rideable. no dry rot which is astonishing. Temperature controlled garage for 33 years.. crazy.

Yea some pics especially a side on from each side. I would add them to the ID thread, (sticky in the garage), showing all the models.

The pic i posted is the only one i have found of the 81SH in Frost Silver. Nice color.

78SE, Canada and others.

full

The no is on the bottom of the PDF file, in post 1 on the first page of this thread

Back