UK Bobber Build thread

Hi,no the pipes are going off to the chromers shortly.

Got a little more done today. Scrapped the original idea for the rear brake stay and went with a more minimalistic bar instead, the original idea was just a little too flimsy.

100_2769_zps920d03a1.jpg

Got the front fender laminated and mounted - not too sure about it at the moment - can't put my finger on whats not right - suggestions please :)

100_2770_zps30625f7e.jpg

The exhuast clamps were just too plain for my liking. However, I wasnt about to pay for new ones! So, with a rat-tail file, I set to work - I'm quite pleased with them, once they're chromed I think they'll look just the part!

Before and after

100_2772_zpse10c0afe.jpg

On the bike

100_2773_zpsc42f50f7.jpg

Overall, after today

100_2774_zps5480e4aa.jpg

Not too sure what to do tomorrow - the more I look at those triple trees, the more they need de-bossing and shaving. If the weathers nice it'll be outside! :D

Nice work on your exhaust clamps Paul. Those look a lot better.
I'm not sure on what's going on with your front fender.I think it looks okay the way it sits now. You should probably get her outside for a better look though.
Did you do something with your axle adjusters to fit better? Mine are off to one side and it's bugging me.

Hi John,

Thank you. Yeah, I think you're right - see what its like outside. I might cut some "vents" and back it with a mesh I have??
Yeah the rear adjusters - I shimmed them out with 20mm washer(s) to get them and the wheel sitting right. Bit of fiddly one but once I got them right I drew the layout on the back of the door so I wouldnt forget it!

Hi Carbon, thank you!
Yes I am. Well, I say "I" am, I have a chap that does my upholstery and leather work for me. I might be a decent Engineer but I am a shite upholsterer!!
Its going to get about 1" of foam and at the moment a rounded finish, however I am toying witha logo / piping too.
Need to work out the colour scheme yet!!

Well today, we rode together for the first time!!
Albeit only about 300 yards - it now has 0.5 miles on its speedo :)
Today i shaved to triple trees and took off unecessary bosses and cleaned up the casting lines etc - just to tidy it up.

100_2775_zpsd54875fa.jpg

While it was outside, I took another few snaps - the front mudguard is starting to grow on me now

100_2776_zps780940e0.jpg

100_2777_zpsd5276486.jpg

Are many of you using a chain tensioner? I'm undecided - I dont want too much clutter but also I dont want a flayling chain!

Looking good Paul!:thumbsup: Getting her outside I think your front fender is pretty good like it sits now, IMO. Looks like you've put some heat in those pipes of yours.:D :bike:
I've looked at some tensioners in the past and although I think they are a good idea I'm not too worried about not having one on my build. That could all change when I get mine up and running though.:laugh:Does your chain move around quite a bit?

Thank you TRB, I'm really toying with a silver bike now!

John, it does a little but I don't think it's enough to warrant a tensioner really. I do need to notch a little more out of the rear fender to accommodate the usual movement. After that, I'm not sure what else a tensioner will bring.

There was a little heat put into the pipes as we scooted around ;) he he

Thanks, yeah I'm now growing on that front fender. I dusted it silver just so it stands out a little more, rather than the gel coat black!

Still open on the final colour scheme! Suggestions please :)

Your on your own on that one Paul! I thought you had something in mind already for paint.
300 yards?! Man, I've still not got mine fired yet! Soon,soon I keep telling myself.
I'll notch my fender a little too.It's pretty close to the edge of the tire now so we'll see how far I have to go.

Ah John, I know I keep changing my mind! Definately gone off the white frame idea though. Thoroughly enjoyed that 300 yds on something I'd built! Quite good fun! You will get there!!!

So no white frame? Are you going with just boring black like me?
I know I'll get there,but it'll be a while before I get any shop time.It kills me to see what you've got done and mine is just sitting there.Oh well, it gives me time to plan and plan some more.With so little time to work,time is very valuable.

Hi John, yes I have gone off the white frame idea. I dont think it'll be black though! Still swaying towards maybe a silver frame and then a colour for the tins????
Hey, theres no rush. Youre right it gives you time to mull ideas over and research a little too! I'll not be doing much over the next couple of weeks as I am tied up this weekend, then next, we're all off to the Motorcycle Show in London for the weekend!! :)

Silver frame should be a good look.It gives you some good color combination choices.
Ah man! Motorcycle show.There is a swap meet down in Wichita pretty regularly, so I might have to go see that.

Hi, i've been following this build for a while now, and I really like what you're doing and how the bike is coming together. IMHO though, the front fender looks like something off of a sport bike, like a zx7, and that may be why it seems a bit funny on the bike. The rest of the bike is bobber through and through, and then the front fender looks like it's off a crotch rocket. That's just my opinion though, and it doesn't look bad, just not quite right either. And most important: if you like it, then screw what I think, lol.

LuckyLeprechaun - you are right with that! Hit the nail on the head - now I just cant decide whether I like it or not!
I might just go for a brace (which I could say constitues a mudguard) :)

Maybe there is a way to make the front fender more bobber-like. Your rear fender has a ridge down the middle, would it be possible to add something like this to the front fender? Maybe even just changing some of the styling on the front fender would be enough. You could adjust the radii of the front and rear edges, maybe using the rear fender as a template. It also looks like you drew a different shape from where it attaches to the forks to where it covers the tire. You could follow what you originally drew on. Did that make sense? - In the picture of the bike outside where the front is to the left, it looks like there's some permanent marker drawn on the side of the fender, if you cut following the drawing, it might look less "sporty". I don't know for sure, just throwing out ideas.

Hi Lucky, you're bang on. I shaded in the side of the sidestand to get an idea of what it would look like. I'm toying with scrapping it and just running without but I like the idea of having a small front fender

Back