UK Bobber Build thread

So sensible head on!
I have order new rings and gaskets. So early start on Sat - pull the engine, pop head off, hone, double check tolerances, new rings gapped, back together - run in :)

Hopefully that wil rectify the silly shortcut I took!

starting to doubt the wisdom of reusing my old rings now lol:shrug:

I'm nothing if not stubborn so I'll reuse as planned and run the bike for the summer then I've plenty of time to plan where I go with the bike next winter.

Good luck with the top end rebuild this weekend. I've learnt an awful lot from reading your build thread this past 6 months . The bike looks fantastic Paul

Well, thats the new rings put in! Wasn't too bad a job! Done about 30 miles on her today and all OK, touch wood. Let her cool down then started, couldn't see any smoke this time. Need to re torque the head now but that ll be next weekend, then back to the jetting. According to Dogbunnys temperature dipstick, it s running at 230 Fahrenheit, which I think is probably attributable to the jets being on the lean side and making her run a tad hot. That can be next weekends job. All in all though, seems to be running OK!

wow that was quick!

Glad to hear its cured the smoke issue and its running again.

:thumbsup:

Whats your next project ?:D

Hey John, yeah Iam thinking around that mark too. Still need to do a little more research into temperatures as I got distracted by several rather tasty pints last night :)

Hi Peanut, yeah its not too big of a job - the time was spent padding them frame, so as not to chip it! As for the next project, I have been toying with a Cafe Racer build. After last weekend at the Rockers Rumble Rally at Squires Cafe, my mind is made up! Cafe Racer with a modern twist ies USD shocks etc, red frame, chromed tank, lots of custom alluminium goodies - now to find another donor bike :)

Too Many - yeak i think you're right! Its jsut the jetting though as the main is still the 132.5 original. Now that i have the rings sorted out I ll dial the carbs in properly and the higher temps should come down.

I thought today I'd take a day off and have a day pottering in the shed :)
So, I re-torqued the head, no movement at all since around 60 miles ago, so I think thats that but I'll keep an eye on it! Check the cam chain tension and, again all fine :)
Had to cut down about 1/4" of the rear fender where it notched in for the chain as I was getting a bit contact. Had to be careful not to heat the paint so masked it off and took it careful with the air cut off tool, no problem. Dressed up the edges, painted then fitted some nylon edging in case it gets close again. I'll keep an eye on it. Popped the carbs off and upped the mains from 132.5 to 137.5 but it pissed down just as I finished, so retesting will have to wait til tomorrow as it is now beer o' clock :)
Contemplating making an alluminium chain guard to stop the chain lube getting flung up off the back wheel, will post some mock up pics to gauge opinion.
Finally gave her a good wash, a bit of polish tomorrow before we venture out :)

Well this weekend we have got quite a bit done! The carbs are there or there abouts, running 45 pilots and 137.5 mains. Just a tiny bit of stumbling high up the rev range. So I im going to order the Canadian needles and needle jets to cure that problem :)
Made a nylon rider for the bottom of the electonics box to stop the chain from tapping it. Bonded it to an alluminium curved backing plate and popped it on - seems to work well!
Really enjoying riding it too :)

Sounds like your on the right track Paul. I was looking at my electrics tank when I first bought it and wondered about the chain slapping it. I've since trimmed it down width wise so no problems.Glad you got some time in riding man!

Hi Yeah, I had anticipated the chain contacting but couldnt chop mine down any further, its no biggy though! :)
Yep, riding it is really good fun. Just going through all the little things that need adjusting, settin up and tightening back up - loctite is my friend! Heres a pic when we stopped for a rest this weekend in the rare English sunshine :)

XS650_zps5e780226.jpg

Back