UK Bobber Build thread

Ok I was reading a magizan and it had no painted motors painted and powder coated nopainted and painted r about the same temp and powder coated run 4x hotter the normal or painted motors

So, I got the engine completed and buttoned up. Polished the cases and covers and popped the engine back into the frame. As a hint - much easier to lie the engine on its side and lower the frame over it drop the bolts in and pick the whole lot up. A lot less chance of damage. However, I have managed to misplace a rear engine bolt! Its got to be in here somewhere!!

1002825uz.jpg

1002824pg.jpg

1002823a.jpg

1002822h.jpg

1002821n.jpg

Damn Paul,that's looking real nice man!:thumbsup: Good bit of advise laying the frame down over the engine.That's what I did when I pulled mine out.Much easier.

So I got my fake oil tank welded in the seat bracket and a battery box holder all welded in yesterday what r the two littel threaded shafts that stick out under the neck

Paul, thats looking damn nice!
Its made me think more about getting another engine to rebuild.

Have you seen those pictures of an xs650 with a white tank and brown seat called 'Maria'?
I want to build one like that. I don't even care if it handles like a pig on its big fat tyres.

Sub, can you be a bit more specific - the threaded shafts on my bike?

Thanks John. I would have posted further progress today but photobucket is being stupid!

I'm looking at doing another engine too

No, I haven't see that build, is it on this site?

wow that looks fantastic Paul.......you sure don't hang about do you ! :D

What polisher did you use ? I've been looking through ebay and can't make my mind up. 150w. 200w or 250w ? some of the 6" 150w grinders are cheap but might bog down polishing the covers etc

Damn thats starting to look good. i like the graphite met you went with in the end

Sub, can you be a bit more specific - the threaded shafts on my bike?

Thanks John. I would have posted further progress today but photobucket is being stupid!

I'm looking at doing another engine too

No, I haven't see that build, is it on this site?

Just type 'xs650 maria' into google. Don't think its on this site. It was built by a European professional outfit. I just like the colours and the way it looks with its enormous tyres. What do you think?

That bike is coming along!
the engine looks really good!
I sure wish that the engine would stay that way after all the work that goes into getting it to look that way.

Hi John, thanks - yeah I did see that bike - very nice! My next build will be a cafe racer definately!

Thanks Peanut - the polisher I use is my Bosch drill in the vise and the three compound wheel kits. Its not the best kit but it always gives me decent results. I think the key is to rub then down well and get rid of all the original lacquer as it burns as soon as the wheel hits them.

Sub - glad you sussed it out!

Carbon - thanks, yes I fear it will be covered in crap fairly quickly!

So, a little more done today - trued the wheels up. Just did them on the bike with their respective axles nipped up and a dial guage mounted onto a magnetic base. So hopefully drop them of with the tyre fitter this week. Going to dropthe tins off this week to get painted. As the bike is half built I have decided to go for a metallic / candy blue like a ZX636R Kawasaki I used to have.

With any luck the chromed parts might arrive back this week!

Made upsome foam inserts for the battery box too - so that'll stop it rattling around.

Here's progress to date!

1002826zy.jpg

1002827m.jpg

1002829.jpg

1002830p.jpg

1002831t.jpg

1002832o.jpg

So, today I got the tyres put back on the rims and nicely balanced. Also dropped the seat off to be covered. Tins were all dropped off yesterday for paint and I have gone for a metallic blue that was the colour of my old X5! Hopefully, my chrome will be back next week and I can get assembled before I go off on holiday!

Back