Umm, kinda liking my Yamaha...

Mister Mellow

Big Dreams, Thin Wallet
Reaction score
Frivolous post. I just got back from a ride on my Bonneville ('03). After backing down into my garage, I got off and went straight over to my '77 XS650, tinkered a bit, and then just sat their gazing at it. The funny thing is, I'm a "Triumph guy," but I've never just sat and stared at my Bonneville like that (my old Daytona, maybe). In fact, the last time I gazed (lusted, actually) at a Yamaha was when I was too young and poor to own one. I had a poster of a white, 1971 125 Enduro on my bedroom wall...

yamaha-125-at1-1971.jpg

In case you're worried, I also had a poster of Nancy Sinatra on my wall. Not this one, but it'll do...

NancySinatra.jpg

Anyway, my 650 is really growing on me. :thumbsup:

If you are a fan of ring-ding motored lightweights, I just watched "cycles South" 1971 flick. It's like Easy Rider and On Any Sunday had a little bastard feel-good child! I enjoyed it. It's very Bruce Brown Documentary style, but they end up with some free love, a Mexican Whorehouse, a hippie cult town, and nearly crashing off a cliff in the souther Rockies. A little cheesy, but great for a rainy day!

Grew up with Kawi KE100's everywhere, and early RMs. A few old yammie 125's and 175 enduros seemed to be pretty popular as well.
Started on a 1974 KV75 Kawasaki myself.

Ah, the good ol' days (except for the Mexican whorehouse *cough* - I wouldn't know anything about that). :D

Ring-ding is a good description. I was more a fan of the looks of that bike than 2-strokes in general. "WINNNNNG DING Ding ding ding ding... WINNNNNNG DING Ding ding ding ding.... etc.

That movie sounds like it has just the right amount of cheese, thanks for the recommendation.
popcorn6.gif

I just watched Cycles South on YouTube (it's in 6 or 7 parts). I liked it, even the shitty staged scenes, and the absolutely ridiculous "psychedelic music" that accompanied the riding-while-stoned scene, LOL. I would never pull some of those reckless stunts, but then again, I can recognize a swamp without riding into one. And of course there were the señoritas, lots of señoritas. Thanks again for the recommendation, I'd never heard of it, and I love watching stuff like that.

It came up on my Netflix reccomended list after I re-watched Easy Rider! A rare time capsule. I was looking at the newest issue of The Horse, and there's a pair of them Kawi 175's in it! They look quite a bit different though. CC Rider with Joe Namath is another favorite, and more recently, Hell Ride.

Back