welder prob. Should i take it in?

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
hi, guys.
Got one for you.
I have a miller 180, 240v had it for 5 years, Since it was new, bought at dealer, its had this problem, but ive dealt with it.
Problem is this-
When I pull the trigger, the wire comes out kinda slow, then comes out fast ( to actual set wire speed).
its intermittent during the weld. Ive replaced the liner, have good clean wire, and have the right tension on the rollers(as far as a pinch test will tell). The rollers match the wire diameter, and the liner and tip match as well.
The only time it dosnt do this is when I have the wfs all the way up. Of course it 'shotguns' at this setting, unless the voltage is way up too. But, A little too hot when welding thin sheet metal.
Last weekend I welded a washer drum to a pipe, to a wheel rim for a fire pit for a neighbor. I had to use 1/8 steel to cover the holes in the rim and drum.
Stupid machine made me look like a fool!!
I have been welding in a fab shop for 6+ years, and have a degree in welding.
At work we use a veriety of welders, Lincoln 350's, Hobart/teledynes, even have a miller 140 for the light stuff, So I am pretty versatile with different welder machines.
Any thoughts? Any ideas? tests for drive motor?
A side question. On the back of the machine, it says 230v, but was told it takes 240v. I have it plugged to a 240v/30amp double throw. Is this ok? It does work, just curious. could this cause this problem? idk.

Back