Well I did it. I drug home that 73 750 Twin you guy's told me not to buy.

good score if you know what you have. Ill make a list of what it would be worth over here in OZ and what can be used on the 650.

Wheels: $3-400.00 could be more because the rear wheel with the larger drum is very rare and is considered an upgrade. Straight swap.

Front forks 36mm: $200.00 at least. can be swapped with the triple trees into a TXA or XSB without changing the looks and no one would know it wasn't original, can change the guard from the TXA and XSB onto them as well......Upgrade from 34mm forks. May have to swap the steering stem from the 650 triple tree

Swing arm: $100.00 Another unnoticeable upgrade. Straight swap

Headlight - Speedo - indicatores - rear tail-light: condition related but the headlight bucket and rim would fetch $50.00 All straight swaps

Pistons: The TX750 pistons were/are sort after by some, in the day 650 owners sort them out because the bolt straight onto the 650 conrod and with the low compression made good racing bikes, I'm sure Yamaman has them in his racer, If they are salvageable would fetch $100-$200. Re-sleeve the barrels for a 750 but the piston is a straight swap to the 650 con-rod

I think you could get close to the same prices in the US as well.

Then you still have the Seat-Tank-Sidecovers-Guards-headlight bracket-rev counter that could fetch a few dollars, could be another $200 or more there easily the TX750 crowd would snap up on ebay

TX750 site for any info on them

Last edited:
good score if you know what you have. Ill make a list of what it would be worth over here in OZ and what can be used on the 650.

Wheels: $3-400.00 could be more because the rear wheel with the larger drum is very rare and is considered an upgrade. Straight swap.

Front forks 35mm: $200.00 at least. can be swapped with the triple trees into a TXA or XSB without changing the looks and no one would know it wasn't original, can change the guard from the TXA and XSB onto them as well......Upgrade from 34mm forks. May have to swap the steering stem from the 650 triple tree

Swing arm: $100.00 Another unnoticeable upgrade. Straight swap

Headlight - Speedo - indicatores - rear tail-light: condition related but the headlight bucket and rim would fetch $50.00 All straight swaps

Pistons: The TX750 pistons were/are sort after by some, in the day 650 owners sort them out because the bolt straight onto the 650 conrod and with the low compression made good racing bikes, I'm sure Yamaman has them in his racer, If they are salvageable would fetch $100-$200. Re-sleeve the barrels for a 750 but the piston is a straight swap to the 650 con-rod

I think you could get close to the same prices in the US as well.

Then you still have the Seat-Tank-Sidecovers-Guards-headlight bracket-rev counter that could fetch a few dollars, could be another $200 or more there easily the TX750 crowd would snap up on ebay

TX750 site for any info on them

WOW!. Thanks for taking the time to write all that. I really appreciate you input.

The more I look at this thing, the more I like it. I'm really hoping to get it going and keep it. Maybe.

WOW!. Thanks for taking the time to write all that. I really appreciate you input.

The more I look at this thing, the more I like it. I'm really hoping to get it going and keep it. Maybe.

Don't let a pretty face fool you. It looks better than it is. Even in top condition it really doesn't do anything that a dozen other motorcycles don't do better.

If you dive into fixing it you will be spending money and TIME on it that you could be getting much more benefit from on a decent running motorcycle.

Yes, but restoring it or rebuilding it to your own spec is what lifes all about....
get it back on the road, you'll have a very rare bike, I would love one to restore!

Yes, but restoring it or rebuilding it to your own spec is what lifes all about....
get it back on the road, you'll have a very rare bike, I would love one to restore!

right sentimant-wrong bike.

the reason it is rare is NOBODY WANTED ONE.

and "rare" translates into the reality that things like oil filters will be non-existant or ridiculously expensive.

You are on the sweet side of this deal now. Take the money off the table and walk away a winner.

50 for the tank.

right sentimant-wrong bike.

the reason it is rare is NOBODY WANTED ONE.

and "rare" translates into the reality that things like oil filters will be non-existant or ridiculously expensive.

You are on the sweet side of this deal now. Take the money off the table and walk away a winner.

50 for the tank.

If you don't have one, why would you want the tank. Or are you just jackin with me.

What kind of build are you doing.

If you don't have one, why would you want the tank. Or are you just jackin with me.

What kind of build are you doing.

Well, since you asked . . .

My bike is built and running, but I never stop tinkering with it. It's styled like a late 60's English "standard" bike leaning slightly toward cafe. It's got Lucas headlight shell (with ammeter) Bates (Lucas knock-off) tailight, Norton style ("pea-shooter") mufflers on close-to Triumph-bend headers (which I may change to a BSA bend 1.5"), Tach only (in a bucket I made from an aluminum fire extinguisher) european bend bars with 2" cut off each end, Magura "dog bone" levers and Guzzi style GP grips, Akront type 18" wheel from a '75 matching a Sun 19" rim laced to a 1959 Triumph front brake on 1970's Ceriani forks and it wears a aluminum front fender, a '75 seat and grab rail.
Motor is "old school" street rod (Wiseco/LA sleeve 750, Shell #1 cam, VM 34's).

It has a stock (Mikes' repop) tank now. It looks ok, but I'd like a bigger one.

I've always admired the tank on the TX. It's over 5 gallons and I think it would look good on my bike (I'd replace the cap with a screw-on type and do an aluminium applique to give it an alloy look). It may be too long, but I won't know until I try.

I've got tons of XS stuff ( I've had 6 of them) and if you plan on getting a "real" yamaha twin I may be able to return the favor some time with a part you might need.

So, no - I ain't jackin' with ya.

As you can see, I totally dig the sentiment you expressed re: building your own personal vision of a motorcycle but I'm telling you straight IMHO, the TX is a starting point you will likely regret.

If you go that route I hope that you proove me wrong.

Attachments

• Comet full view.jpg
    Comet full view.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 201
But I only paid $40 for it. :D

So last week I asked if this 73 750 twin was worth trading a $400 shot gun for. You guy's told me to run away from it because of the junk motor. Well I did run away from it last week end. The motor is just about froze solid. I couldn't budge it with my 200#'s. The owner did get it to kick all the way threw with a lot of force. I wasn't comfortable with that, but it was his bike. How ever, I did offer the guy $10 for the tool kit. He declined my offer.

So fast forward to this week end. I offered the guy $20 for the tool kit, which he accepted. To make a long story short, I got the rest of the bike for $40, with a title. I know this may or may not be a good thing. I'm just hoping the crank isn't locked up. But if it is, I'm thinking surely I can make a little bit of money off of parting it out. Maybe not. Maybe I wasted $40. I guess I'm about to find out.

The seat is super nice, the paint is decent. And it has the DID high shoulder rims that are really nice too. I figure I can scrap it and get my money back,,I hope. :shrug:

So I thought I'd just share a couple of quick pic's for your amusement. You guy's can start laughing at me now. :laugh:

full

full

The 73 model had no way to adjust the counterbalancer chain.It would eventually stretch enough that the balancers would get far enough out of phase to contact each other causing a major failure.Yamaha sent out a kit to modify all the 73 models . It meant totally tearing down the engine to install a redesigned balancer system which now had the ability to adjust the balancer chain. My 73 had 15000 miles on it when it was done.The last time i saw it there was over 60000 miles on it The only other problem they had was oil leaking at the seal behind the points .There where parts in the update kit to fix that as well. 1974 modells all had the updates done during production and proved to be very reliable bikes.Unfortunatly the 73 models problems and the growing popularity of 4 cylinder engines made it a hard sell as well as the fact that Yamaha had a triple 750 almost ready to release

I GOT THAT SUM BICH BROKE LOOSE!!:thumbsup:

I tried all the snake oils and nothing worked. Actually they probably helped. So anyway. I had decided the crank was locked, and started pulling the motor. I've got everything loose except the motor mount bolt's. So I was sitting there looking at the rotor, that I broke the bolt off in,,and I decided WTF. This motor is junk anyway, so I put me a big ol pry bar in the rotor and put the meat to it. All at once it gave way. :eek: I thought I broke the rotor. But when I looked inside I could see the piston going up and down. :D

Well I aint out of the wood's yet. So as I'm turning it over, I get to a stuck spot. I go back the other way,,,stuck spot. Again I said WTF and forced it. It made a metal clank and then it was fine again. But it definitely has a problem spot in it. I thought it was a broke ring.

So it turns out that the valves are all rusty and one of the exhaust valves is stuck open. The stuck spot I was hitting was the 2 valves coming in contact with each other, and I was forcing them past each other. So I'm hoping this crank is fine and all I need to do is take the head off and see what's up with that.

So I'm pretty stoked. :bike:

Here's my motor breaker looser tool. :laugh:

full

Well, since you asked . . .

My bike is built and running, but I never stop tinkering with it. It's styled like a late 60's English "standard" bike leaning slightly toward cafe. It's got Lucas headlight shell (with ammeter) Bates (Lucas knock-off) tailight, Norton style ("pea-shooter") mufflers on close-to Triumph-bend headers (which I may change to a BSA bend 1.5"), Tach only (in a bucket I made from an aluminum fire extinguisher) european bend bars with 2" cut off each end, Magura "dog bone" levers and Guzzi style GP grips, Akront type 18" wheel from a '75 matching a Sun 19" rim laced to a 1959 Triumph front brake on 1970's Ceriani forks and it wears a aluminum front fender, a '75 seat and grab rail.
Motor is "old school" street rod (Wiseco/LA sleeve 750, Shell #1 cam, VM 34's).

It has a stock (Mikes' repop) tank now. It looks ok, but I'd like a bigger one.

I've always admired the tank on the TX. It's over 5 gallons and I think it would look good on my bike (I'd replace the cap with a screw-on type and do an aluminium applique to give it an alloy look). It may be too long, but I won't know until I try.

I've got tons of XS stuff ( I've had 6 of them) and if you plan on getting a "real" yamaha twin I may be able to return the favor some time with a part you might need.

So, no - I ain't jackin' with ya.

As you can see, I totally dig the sentiment you expressed re: building your own personal vision of a motorcycle but I'm telling you straight IMHO, the TX is a starting point you will likely regret.

If you go that route I hope that you proove me wrong.

Sounds like a nice ride. You got a lot of work in that one.

BTW....My XS2 doesn't strike you as a "REAL" Yamaha Twin. :wtf:

So if you read my last post,,,,I'd have to say you're out out the tank. You wouldn't get it for $50 anyway. Time will tell. :shrug: There's at least 1 nice one on ebay right now. Good luck.

So let me ask you guy's this. How crazy of an idea is this. :wink2:

Could I block of the intake port's, put the plug's in, and then stand the bike straight up in the air and fill it with some snake oil to try and clean up the valve's and top side of the head,,,I guess that would be called the bottom side,,, where the liquid's didn't reach before. :shrug:

Is it worth a shot, or should I just go ahead and pull the motor, then pull the head.

Anyone know for sure if I have to pull the motor to get the head off.

good points from everyone :cheers:
Here in the UK the XS never took off, it just didn't sell when all the big 4 cylinder bikes were available: old skool 'brit' style weren't selling!
Now, the XS is pretty well liked and as they are quite rare they bring good money, hence all the imports we buy. A good, standard restored one will see $5000 no problem :eek:
As the TX didn't sell anywhere, it is a rare bike, good or bad, doesn't really alter that fact! Defo restore it, at least get it running and tidied up, then see what the buyers will pay: for what its cost you, its got to be worth investing in...put it away somewhere nice and dry for another few years, will be worth a fortune when there's only 2 or 3 left running! :thumbsup:

Be careful tearing into that with a vengence There are no new/oem parts for that year, you can find many hard parts on e-bay from people doing the same thing your doing. Getting in over your head, 90% of the parts were discontinued years ago but they still come up! Lubrication system was of very poor design, 1974 Honda corrected the problems but it was too late. Rims for sale???

Be careful tearing into that with a vengence There are no new/oem parts for that year, you can find many hard parts on e-bay from people doing the same thing your doing. Getting in over your head, 90% of the parts were discontinued years ago but they still come up! Lubrication system was of very poor design, 1974 Honda corrected the problems but it was too late. Rims for sale???

Well that was awful nice of Honda to fix the problem for Yamaha. :laugh:

Nothing is for sale at this point in time. Hey. I gotta put some more money in it before I let the next guy have it. :D

The 73 model had no way to adjust the counterbalancer chain.It would eventually stretch enough that the balancers would get far enough out of phase to contact each other causing a major failure.Yamaha sent out a kit to modify all the 73 models . It meant totally tearing down the engine to install a redesigned balancer system which now had the ability to adjust the balancer chain. My 73 had 15000 miles on it when it was done.The last time i saw it there was over 60000 miles on it The only other problem they had was oil leaking at the seal behind the points .There where parts in the update kit to fix that as well. 1974 modells all had the updates done during production and proved to be very reliable bikes.Unfortunatly the 73 models problems and the growing popularity of 4 cylinder engines made it a hard sell as well as the fact that Yamaha had a triple 750 almost ready to release

Finally someone with some hard knowledge.
Donald would you know the vin break for the 73-74?
The sticker on mine doesn't have a DOM that I can see.
Or is there another way to tell? Adjuster for the counter balance would be where?

I occasionally see this bike (2-3 times in 4-5 yrs). But have yet to see the rider.
From the appearence he is a function over form type.

Cal since you are going to try and get it running........
Burns I sent you a pm about the tank I have.

Attachments

• 04-17-11_1313.jpg
    04-17-11_1313.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 165
good points from everyone :cheers:
Here in the UK the XS never took off, it just didn't sell when all the big 4 cylinder bikes were available: old skool 'brit' style weren't selling!
Now, the XS is pretty well liked and as they are quite rare they bring good money, hence all the imports we buy. A good, standard restored one will see $5000 no problem :eek:
As the TX didn't sell anywhere, it is a rare bike, good or bad, doesn't really alter that fact! Defo restore it, at least get it running and tidied up, then see what the buyers will pay: for what its cost you, its got to be worth investing in...put it away somewhere nice and dry for another few years, will be worth a fortune when there's only 2 or 3 left running! :thumbsup:

A friend of mine did just that, only the one he put away was a show-room perfect bike with 1000 miles on it. He "put it away" over 20 years ago waiting for it to get valuable. He's still got it. He takes it out and rides it once or twice a year, comes in says it sucks compared to whatever his current ride is and parks it again.

It is an Edsil.

Finally someone with some hard knowledge.
Donald would you know the vin break for the 73-74?
The sticker on mine doesn't have a DOM that I can see.
Or is there another way to tell? Adjuster for the counter balance would be where?

I occasionally see this bike (2-3 times in 4-5 yrs). But have yet to see the rider.
From the appearence he is a function over form type.

Cal since you are going to try and get it running........
Burns I sent you a pm about the tank I have.

Weekend Rider I do not know the actual # range in Canada the 73 was a TX750 and the74 was a TX750A .The 73 models where the colour in your picture and the 74s where darker brown with a dual disc brake setup.The mod kit for the 73s also included a deeper oil sump which was std on the 74s. This stopped the oil from foaming and allowed the scavenge side of the oil pump to return oil rather than foam bock to the tank.The rear balancer shaft is the one used to adjust the chain. It is on the lower left side of the engine.I woul suggest you try to find an older Yamaha dealer who is sympathetic towards ..older bikes to get advice.Yamaha parts nation still has parts diagrams on their site even though it is pretty well all discontinued.

Back