What am I not getting about picking the gas cap?!

pslaughter

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I'm in a pickle. My gas cap won't unlock with the key anymore, almost sheered the dang thing off earlier this evening trying! I've reviewed the threads about this and after trying I feel like I'm missing something:banghead:. Do you use the pick to push the tab in front of the cylinder, or to push the hook that latches onto the tank? I'm gong to steal a picture from one of those threads to illustrate (as I can't since I can't open my dang cap!). The flat tab a the front seems to close to the edge of the cap for me to get any of the homemade tools I've made to fit, is it the hook on the left that should be pushed open?
attachment.php

Not sure if that photo's going to work so here's the thread (it's the first picture in the 11th post):
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23824

Thanks!

Yeah the tab at the front gets pushed back, you need to keep a bit of downward pressure on the cap with your third hand so there is no pressure on the mechanism.
I bend a short hook in a windshield wiper stainless steel strip. It's a bit light but will do it. Push rearward and rock it back a forth a bit. Opened 8-10 caps this way.
Hit everything with rust buster before you start.

cap.JPG

that latch faces forward, it catches on a small round bar, a thin screw driver or pick will work, You need to push down on the cap so the latch can clear the bar, then push the latch back

If you want to save paint cut out some plastic milk carton to make a protector while you work.

It's a standard. I'll have to try finding some thinner material like that windshield wiper strip, Gary. Coat hanger just doesn't seem to be cutting it. Thanks!

If you can't catch the slide part, push your tool in father and push directly on the catch.
Leo

Thanks again for the help Gary. To those who may search for this in the future, I ended up drilling out the hinge pin to get a better grip on the cap. With it loose I pushed it forward so that there was more of a gap in between the cap and the latch, and then held the latch back with the hook as I let the cap go back to it's original position. Pulled the plates from the cylinder and it's all good now!

Back