What are these plug welds for?

Uncle Bryan

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
There are a set of plug welds on the lower portion of the back bone between the rear motor mounts. What are they for? Is there a doubler or sleeve inside the main tube??

full

full

Rear engine plate mount bolt holes. This photo is stolen from member pregrid. It shows you the plate bolted to the frame and motor.

shiny004.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think he means the engine mount bosses - He asking about the two plug welds in the tube below the bosses - yes, tube in a tube construction

So you think someone is going to run out and chop up a frame just to satisfy your curiosity?

That would be crazy. No one in their right mind would do THAT.

Wait for it..............

Well it just so happens that you're on the RIGHT forum.

frame doubler 004.JPG

Anything to avoid the million projects I SHOULD be working on.

- - - Anything to avoid the million projects I SHOULD be working on.

Hi Gary,
thanks for posting the Sawzall X-ray. When I first got my Heritage I wondered why it would be 100 lbs heavier than my BSA plunger frame Gold Flash; essentially the same bike, eh?
My first guess was that Yamaha forgot to hollow out the frame tubes.
Then I tried lifting an XS650 engine unit the same way I lifted the BSA's semi-unit engine & tranny but the XS unit just stayed on the floor despite my best efforts.
So I thought, "it must be all those massive flywheels, not the frame after all."
Then I saw your photo and realized, "yes, they did hollow out the frame tubes but then they started to fill them up again."

OK 2many I cut a late frame, you can chop open an early frame for us so we can SEE the difference.

See? I am an angle grinder guru!

Back